Duo Jet Tuning Problem

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

gretsch929

Duo Jet Tuning Problem

Post by gretsch929 »

I recently purchased a new Duo Jet from Musicians Friend. It has all the usual appointments--Bigsby, Gretsch Synchro-Sonic bridge, and D'Armond pups. Love the guitar; however, from day one, I noticed that it was hard to tune and that it was even harder keeping it in tune while playing. Brought it to Mandolin Brothers,located in Staten Island, New York, for a set-up. The problems still remained after the set-up. Next, I replaced the Synchro-Sonic bridge with a Gretsch rocking bar bridge. Alas, no joy! I would appreciate any advice from the Forum members that would help solve the guitar's tuning issues. :(
fabandgear

Re: Duo Jet Tuning Problem

Post by fabandgear »

Since the bridge floats on the top, held in place only by the tension of the strings, I'd check the intonation to insure that the bridge didn't accidentally shift position. You might also check to see if the bridge base fits snugly against the top. Also, Always tune UP to the proper pitch, never down. If you still have problems, I'd return it to MF for exchange or refund.
"When I kill, its on direct orders from Her Majesty's government." -007
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good points Forrest. Also, when it goes out of tune does it go sharp rather than flat?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
gretsch929

Post by gretsch929 »

Thanks for your help. To answer the last question--when the stings go out, they go out both sharp AND flat. What a bummer. :(
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

I had some tuning issues like this with my Duo-Jet and Tennessean which both have the open-back tuners. Eventually this frustrating issue went away. I don't know if I believe in a "breaking-in period" but to my mind it accounts for an issue that went away. What kind of strings are on it? Maybe it's a gauge issue with the strings being too light?
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Sticky or pinching nut slots? This can make tuning a huge issue - you end up overshooting as the string will stick in the nut until the tension behind the nut reaches a certain critical level and then wham! - you find the string has gone up a quarter step - likewise for reducing tension. We all know bending notes can pull a string out of tune with a sticky/pinched nut slot, but even fretting can do this in the right circumstances. This problem can go away over time as the strings grind the nut slots a little wider with use.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I would look at how the slots are cut in the nut very closely.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

That is indeed wise counsel Evan and in my experience (with many guitar brands) most likely the cause of the problem. I see Peter is also hot on the same trail.

Have your local luthier check the nut to make sure that it is cut properly. If strings are being pinched you may also experience strange overtones when playing the guitar unplugged.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”