Curt Mangan Strings & Gretsch Guitars

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jimk
RRF Consultant

Curt Mangan Strings & Gretsch Guitars

Post by jimk »

I've been using Curt Mangan strings on my Rick 12 string exclusively for a long time. I like them on the guitar so much that I was thinking of putting a six string set on my Gretsch 5120. Anybody use 'em? I currently have a set of D'Addario XL .046-.010 installed. I play a lot of finger style on it (Chet Atkins/Merle Travis)
JimK
admin
Site Admin

Re: Curt Mangan Strings & Gretsch Guitars

Post by admin »

Jim, I have not used the CMs on a Gretsch but why not, they are great strings.

I would, however, recommend that you try Ernie Ball Slinky Cobalts. I find them to be great on the 5120.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Hmmm....never heard of 'em. Yeah, I'll give 'em a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

JimK
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

I put a set of D'Addario half-rounds on one of my Gretsch guitars and really like them a lot. They have more of the twang and snap I'd expect from the Gretsch without being full-on flats. You might look into those as well. I've had good luck with them on Rics and my Fender Jag as well.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes half rounds and nickel rockers are also nice strings on Gretsch guitars.

The Cobalts are very different in tone and feel and are worthy of a test drive. Very responsive and full sounding. The new kid on the block. I am also going to try them on my 350.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”