Country gentleman or tennessee rose

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Medicus1963

Country gentleman or tennessee rose

Post by Medicus1963 »

Hi all,

I have the opportunity to get either a Country gentleman or a Tennesse rose guitar, each from about 2005. Which one of these would you prefer for playing Beatles Songs from ca. 1962 to 1965. Any help needed for this hard decision !

Thanks

peter
All you need is love and a rick !
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: Country gentleman or tennessee rose

Post by JakeK »

I had the opportunity to play both at Dave Rogers' shop last year in November. They were both 2011 models, but I really preferred the single cutaway and Hi-Lo Tron pickups of the Tenny. The Gent was a nice guitar, too, very playable, but the Tenny kept calling me back.
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

Thank you Jake,
I forgot to say, that the Tenny is equipped with the HiLo Trons !

Peter
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

The good news is that the Country Gentleman can be your next instrument after the Tennessee Rose. :lol:
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

I have both. I would say the Gent. Between the two for me, it seems to be the more versatile. They both have the Gretsch sound, and the Tennesseean is great for rhythm as well, but my inclination is still the Gent.
Sarcasm just doesn't come through when you're typing...
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

JakeK wrote:I had the opportunity to play both at Dave Rogers' shop last year in November. They were both 2011 models, but I really preferred the single cutaway and Hi-Lo Tron pickups of the Tenny. The Gent was a nice guitar, too, very playable, but the Tenny kept calling me back.
What Jake said; Hilotrons are a very sweet-sounding, low output pickup.

Beside, everyone knows that single cutaway Gretsches look much cooler than the double-cutaway models, and the cooler a guitar looks, the better it will sound, and the better it will make you play. ;)
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
360girl

Post by 360girl »

There is an alternative - the G6119-1962FT Tennessee Rose. Is it Beatles Period Correct? No, as far as I know, no electrotone (hollow without f-holes) bodied, FilterTron loaded Tenny Roses were made in the 60s. But they are made nowadays. I just bought one this past Saturday to replace my Country Club (which wasn't working out for me sound-wise in a band situation).

My G6119-1962FT Tenny Rose

Does it sound just like a Country Gent? No, after all the body shape of the 'Gent does give it a different sound. But, it does sound pretty close, with the right amp settings.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice guitar Ellen. Congratulations.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

to make it more complicated:
whats the difference between a duojet with dynasonics an the telly with hilotrons.
I am asking, because i own this duojet and have to sell it when i buy a gent or a telly.

thanks

Peter
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Telecaster or Tennessee Rose?

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Boy...the Duo Jet with Dynas probably has my favorite tone out of all of those. Easy-playing guitars too. No way could I talk you out of a Duo Jet in exchange for a Tenny or Gent! :shock:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

When you think of Duojet dynasonic tone recall I Saw Her Standing There, Boys, Twist and Shout, Ask Me Why and so forth. As for the Tennessean with hilotrons think of Help, Ticket to Ride and You're Gonna Lose That Girl. I am with JB. I would not let the Duojet go. If I may be so bold, why not one 325, one Duojet, one Tennessean and one Country Gentleman for your stable? :)

Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

OOpps,

I meant Tenny not Telly. Tennessean of course.
Yes i know one 325 can be enough but it is such a niiiice trio !
Huh. Heavy decision !
And you would not let the Duojet go ?
They are 2700 Euros new. and i have seen a Tenny for 2250 Euro.
Not easy, not easy !!

Peter
Medicus1963

Post by Medicus1963 »

And Ellen..

Yes a really nice guitar, but looks like one of the older Country classics with one cutaway.
But really better than gent with two cutaways.
Uh, i hate these decisions !!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Have you made a decision, Peter? I think Ellen's guitar is probably the best choice...

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”