NGD: Gretsch 6120N

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

NGD: Gretsch 6120N

Post by sloop_john_b »

I got this rare model in a trade this week - a 6120N. These were made pre-Fender (around 2002). There were apparently very few made, and it's easy to see why. In terms of construction, this really breaks free of Gretsch tradition. The big Florentine cutaway is just the icing on the cake.

Being a Gibson guy, I figured it might be more up my alley, so I took a shot and so far I really like it. It has a lot in common with a 335 - thin semi-hollow body with a center block.

The tune is superb - a searing TV Jones Classic at the bridge coupled with a really mellow TV Jones Magnatron at the neck (neck position sounds JUST like the intro to "Matchbox").

It also plays really easy too, thanks in part to the Tru-Arc bridge, an absolute necessary mod IMO.

Aside from an irritating buzz on the low E string that I can't seem to figure out, I am having a lot of fun with this guitar. I thought the florentine cutaway would bother me, but I got used to it very quickly. It's quite stunning looking and the upper-fret access is a huge plus for me.

admin
Site Admin

Re: NGD: Gretsch 6120N

Post by admin »

John: I love this guitar and really like the idea of the Magnatron in the neck. The florentine cutaway is a fantastic look. Congratulations.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
collin

Post by collin »

Man, that's a nice one, congrats!! :) 8)
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

Beautiful guitar John,congrats!

I agree,ya can't beat a Tru-Arc bridge,i have a SS one on my 6120-59LTV,and i'm going to get one for my old 57 Gent, when Tim recovers of course.
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Very unique guitar, I like it!! :D 8)
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Nice! I like the binding on that!
8) 8) 8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
360girl

Post by 360girl »

Ooh! VERY cool! 8) Yes indeed yours, is pre-FMIC (F.Y.I. - Fender does not own Gretsch, they have been under contract since 2003, to handle all production, and distribution details for Gretsch stringed instruments, Fred Gretsch III own Gretsch). I can tell by the headstock shape, the plain polepieces on the TV Jones TV Classics (nowadays, they have slotted screw-type polepieces like the vintage FilterTrons had), the flat face (not arched) of the upper bout of the body, above the neck. G6120Ns are starting to gain a bit of a cult following. They were never very common, and some players like their thin bodies. Enjoy! Play it like ya stole it! :)

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”