NGD - A Change in Gretsches

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

360girl

NGD - A Change in Gretsches

Post by 360girl »

I've been playing Gretsches, since I bought my first one back in 2002. For the past 3 years, my Gretsch of choice was the Country Club. I had to sell my first one (a 2003) in 2009, due to an unexpected money crunch. I wasn't able to afford another Country Club (much less a Proline Gretsch), until last year. At that time (after having a 6118 Anniversary for a short time), I bought a 2011 bamboo yellow, Dynasonic loaded 'Club. It was a nice guitar, but it had a couple of issues (which my old 2003 'Club never had): microphonic feedback at high gain, even when the volume was low; and a nasal tonality (it sounded sort of like a mutant Tele), that I never could get rid of. As a result, it didn't get much playing time for the past 3 /12 months or so. I don't keep case queens (I live in an apartment, and don't have space for more than 4 or 5 guitars), and after an audition for a band, where the volumes were pretty high, I decided that unlike my first Country Club (which handled feedback very well, and didn't have that annoying nasal tonality), the second one was not going to cut it in a band situation (luckily my 360 played and sounded great for the audition). So, I went guitar hunting, and this came home with me on Saturday:

Gretsch G6119-1962FT Tennessee Rose

It plays like a million bucks, and kicks all sorts of sonic butt. And yes, while it is hollow, it has no f-holes. They are painted on. Gretsch has done that some of their models, since the early 60s, as a way of fighting feedback. Years ago, I would have said "no way!" to owning a guitar with painted on f-holes. but, it sounds and plays so good, that I could care less about them. They actually look kind of cool in an offbeat way. :)
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Re: NGD - A Change in Gretsches

Post by JakeK »

Very cool, Ellen! A Tenny with Filtertrons...VERY interesting. I'm sure it doesn't sound too much different from a Country Gent. The one thing I like about sealed tops is the aforementioned feedback prevention. A little bit of grit with a Gretsch and you've got a tone similar to Dave Davies. 8)
360girl

Post by 360girl »

Thanks Jake! :)
Rubsoul

Post by Rubsoul »

Hey Ellen,
I have the same guitar/pick up combination.
You can;t go wrong... easier to handle and lighter then the Gent. :D
(Not to mention the tone)
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I have a `65 Tenny with Hilotrons. The painted on "f" holes are quite practical for live work, especially with a distortion pedal. :D
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”