Club Owners, don'tcha hate 'em? A video illustration.

Gretsch Forum and For Sale Ads

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

guitman
Professional Player

Club Owners, don'tcha hate 'em? A video illustration.

Post by guitman »

Gretsch content, I'm playing my '54 Country Club.

We played the Blue Monday at a local high-end restaurant. Every time we play this place, after the first song the owner asks, no...demands that we turn down even though we start at a low level so as not to curdle anyone's soup. When people get up to dance we turn up, or maybe we turn up and then people get up to dance...I'm not sure which, I've been playing professionally for a long time...I can read the audience's mind. Then we'll be playing away with everybody dancing and the owner is dancing and smiling even though we're twice as loud as when he asked us to turn down. I suppose it has something to do with the cash register at the bar ringing up all those sales of overpriced booze. At any rate, in this video the owner can be seen stepping outside to demand of Ogre, our soundman/roadie that he turn us down. Ogre tells him to shove it. Ogre is a scary looking dude with big muscles so the owner backs down. In the next scene we're playing the first song after our opening instrumental and there is the owner in the foreground, happily dancing to the music even though we are about 6 or 8db louder than we were when he demanded the volume to be lower. What is really sad about this is that a lot of club owners pull the same power trip even though they've got next to no experience with live music and the musicians working there have decades.

The video is called Mojo Blow Out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnHQJLQC-I8
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - Sprung
Moped10

Re: Club Owners, don'tcha hate 'em? A video illustration.

Post by Moped10 »

just saw this- I love that what's happened to us seems to be a universal reoccurring issue! haha! great you caught it on tape, and nice Gretsch! :wink:
bartyclue
Intermediate Member

Post by bartyclue »

Great band.. That Horn player kicks. Its comforting to see us older lads still out and about gigging.. A lot of my comtemporaries ask me "arent you a little old to be in a rock band?"

I probably am in some respects.. "rock n roll is a young mans game" never sounds truer than when I am tearing down gear at 1:30 in the morning...
GIBrat51

Post by GIBrat51 »

Great band, and a great video clip, too! The owner has what I used to call "Just-so-you-know-I'm-in-charge-itis". I worked as a draftsman, surveyor, and engineering field tech for 40 years; got that stuff from clients all the time. Once they let me know it was their dime, they'd go away and let me work. Since a survey crew cost about $200/hr. or more then, I was perfectly willing to let the guy talk; it was his dime, after all. Funny to watch him dancing away, though, after his losing conversation with Ogre.

Return to “Going Gretsch Forum:”