RIC Outlet 4003 Walnut Wing Body Mapleglo

A discussion of RIC Outlet One Offs

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Re: RIC Outlet 4003 Walnut Wing Body Mapleglo

Post by johnallg »

FretlessOnly wrote:Another reason why not might be that the buyer who just payed $4552 would have just been shafted out of ~$2,000.
Oh, they would list for about what it went on eBay. Look at the C64 list prices.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I was watching it pretty closely in the morning, the price was looking pretty good, then it went over $4k. :( I figured by the time the snipers got busy in the last few minutes, the price would go through the roof...

As for the sponsored links ads, I'm guessing it must have some relation to what you search. I see ads for XLR cables and a T-shirt that says "Aim low, play bass"...

It would be cool if RIC came out with something like this as a product, or at least a higher end 4003 with checkered binding and premium maple. I'm guessing that really flamed maple is getting too expensive/rare to make full body wings with it, hence the "sandwich" construction on the 4004Cii. Perhaps this one was an experiment to see how it would work on the 4003...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

I'm hoping the three-piece neck enters the lineup. That was my favorite thing about this.
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

Post by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS »

very rare to see a body wing from any manufacturer in solid flame maple. when split and bookmatched, it's used for decoration and a slight tightening of top end acoustically which will translate into the strings and pickups. i've seen some top end basses in solid quilted maple but not flame. i think the subject rick looks very sharp as is with the wood contrasts. you can't go wrong with black walnut. the dust it makes when sanding it is a gagger for sure. i like the wider skunk stripe as the older 4005 basses had too ! 1/2" spaced toaster pickup and ebony board would have been 8) . good contrast for the new markers.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote:very rare to see a body wing from any manufacturer in solid flame maple...
I know of one:
4003_body.jpg
4003_body_back.jpg
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote: 1/2" spaced toaster pickup and ebony board would have been 8) . good contrast for the new markers.
Yes, black outer binding would have looked better too, IMHO...
Last edited by cjj on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

that would be the first of the 4003 basses, yes ? howz about checker on the outside ? though the checker binding is not as wide as the standard rick binding.
Last edited by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I'm not sure... but it's mine! :mrgreen:

Actually, I don't think so, it's an '84 and I believe they were out a few years before that...
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

that split guard was only for a few years, wasn't it ? thats where the truss adjust was. black binding i don't think would have looked good on walnut. and checker looks better with white, i think.
Last edited by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote:that split guard was only for a few years, wasn't it ? thats where the truss adjust was.
Yes, it has the old style folded truss rods, but reversed. Looks like in the register, the first 4003 listed is 1979 and is shown at:
http://www.guitar-museum.com/guitar-470 ... ***-Guitar

Most seem to start in 1980.

As for checker binding on the outside, I've always though it looked cool, but almost too busy...

Perhaps you're right about black binding and the walnut. Though the black TRC looks good next to the walnut on the headstock, but that's not quite the same...

Oh, and I think checker with black outer binding looks just fine:
low_horn.jpg
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

looks fine with all maple, but too dark with the walnut.

and you said it here...Things always seem the darkest just before they get really bad... :lol:

what do you have...a selection of every ric pic at hand ???
Last edited by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote:looks fine with all maple, but too dark with the walnut.
You may well be right, I can't quite visualize it. Perhaps one of our resident Photoshop gurus can do a mockup on that 4002 photo and see what it looks like with darker wood on the lower part of the body...
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

let me get my brown sharpie ! damn ! it won't wipe off my monitor ! :lol:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote:let me get my brown sharpie ! damn ! it won't wipe off my monitor ! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, here are a couple of better pics from the register. There was a "walnut" on there, but it didn't have good enough pics to really tell how the binding looks with a darker finish.
10-fullsize.jpg
15-fullsize.jpg
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS wrote:very rare to see a body wing from any manufacturer in solid flame maple.
This guy does it on a regular bassis! :wink:
BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS
Professional Player

jeff, if you look closely at the bass on the opening link, you'll see it is maple capped and bookmatched. the lamination line shows on the edge contour. and looking at his offered basses, they are all capped with various rare woods. i did say "rare" and i'm sure pedulla is more a cottage industry and makes small batches as opposed to fender and gibson that churn them out by the thousands, and even those companies rarely will make a custom instrument out of solid flame. nice finish on that pedulla btw.
Last edited by BAD RONBO, KiLLeR DWaRfS on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “RIC Outlet One Offs: by Peter McCormack”