SHORT SCALE ONE OFFS!!!

A discussion of RIC Outlet One Offs

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

SHORT SCALE ONE OFFS!!!

Post by jingle_jangle »

Strictly speaking, not "Rick Outlet" guitars, but these should be officially noted and documented.

These were 10 one-offs, special-ordered as a batch from RIC by one N*** T****, when he saw a number of raw C58 bodies that had been used to prototype the C58 project, lying unused at RIC. They were built into complete instruments, and sold on to various dealers and private parties.

Each was unique in features and trim, and I believe all now reside with private owners. Each is secretly marked as well, and of course RIC kept a record of the serial numbers.

I have a list of each guitar and its features, which Kevin Kuney sent me, which I or Kevin will post later today.

My own is a maple BlueBoy 325/12, with open-backed tuners, trapeze tailpiece, and F-hole:

I pulled it off the wall on Sunday night, for the first playtime in several months, and it was still in tune...

Here it is in the rack at RIC, awaiting its final assembly and setup:

These are beautiful and unusual short-scales and deserve recognition!
Ontario_RIC_fan
Advanced Member

Re: SHORT SCALE ONE OFFS!!!

Post by Ontario_RIC_fan »

jingle_jangle wrote: These are beautiful and unusual short-scales and deserve recognition!
I agree Paul - The Blue Boy finish is lovely...

Congrats on such a beautiful and rare guitar.
Brian Morton
A Rickenbacker Fan
in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
=========================
67 FG 625
74 JG 4000
76 JG 430
77 JG 620
77 JG 320
79 JG 4001
80 FG 620/12
81 BG 480
91 JG 610
02 BG 620
78 TR7
83 TR25
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

I've always loved the MB 325s from this run.

Paul: you sure that's a 12er in that RIC guitar rack?
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Half the tuners have been installed, and the holes on the edge of the headstock are still visible...
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Aha, thought those holes were the tuning keys!
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Paul, that is one beautiful guitar ! Did it come with the 12 bridge already ? What about string gauges on a 12 string short scale, as 12 to 52 is the required set on a 6 string, no intonation problems - lower strings on third fret, tension ? Do you have the TI flats on it ?
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

I believe both of the 12 string models from that batch came with 12 saddle bridges.

I made a "custom" set of T-I flats for my 310/12 by ordering some individual strings and adding them to a set I had. I will check and post what gauges they are. It plays and sounds great!
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

How are they wired ?
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

As I recall, most of them had four knobs and I believe they were wired the same as the production 325C58 models. A small number had only two knobs but I'm not sure if they were wired the same as the original late 50's models.

Looks like there is still a Blue Boy 325 with two knobs, f hole, and Accent tailpiece available on Mike Park's site in the "Collectables" section:

http://the-music-connection.com/r508.jpg
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

xpitt wrote:Paul, that is one beautiful guitar ! Did it come with the 12 bridge already ? What about string gauges on a 12 string short scale, as 12 to 52 is the required set on a 6 string, no intonation problems - lower strings on third fret, tension ? Do you have the TI flats on it ?
It has the RIC 12-saddle bridge, and is wired exactly like a C58. It's got strings made up from a .013-.052 RIC set plus individual strings in the proper gauges to fill out the set. No intonation problems that I can hear, but a strobe tuner might reveal minor discrepancies. The guitar feels quite understressed due to scale length and string tension. It's not a cheese slicer to play.

I used to think it was work to play, as it still has the factory "universal" setup and the nut could use a bit of fine-tuning, but the most recent time I played it, it felt just fine. I've (obviously) never gigged it...

The list of the various instruments (I only have records of 8 of the 10):

1. 325/6 Blue Boy, Maple body, slash sound hole
2. 325/6 Montezuma Brown, Alder body, "F" hole
3. 315/6 FireGlo

4. 325/12 Blue Boy, Maple body, "F" hole (my guitar)
5. 325/6 Montezuma Brown, Maple body, "F" hole, 2 knobs
6. 320/6 Montezuma Brown, Maple body, 2 knobs

7. 325/6 FireGlo, Alder body, "F" hole
8. 315/12 FireGlo, Alder body, maple back (Kevin's guitar) Fitted with birdseye maple fretboard

Any information on the remaining 2 would be welcome.

Note that there were only two 12 string versions made (so far as we know)
Last edited by jingle_jangle on Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Thanks, Kevin & Paul ! :)
krick
Veteran RRF member

Post by krick »

My records are slightly different than Paul's. Here are some of my notes for possible clarification of Paul's list.

#2 is actually a 310 model with a 4 piece Alder body. The pieces were different widths and glued together like a "butcher block". I owned this guitar for a short time and it is the same one in this post. viewtopic.php?p=433629#p433629

#3 has an alder body.

#6 originally had 4 knobs but was converted by the owner to a 2 knob configuration using one of Glen Lambert's custom looms.

#8 is actually a 310/12 model.

Other 2 I know of:

325/6 Mapleglo with maple body that was listed by a dealer on eBay several times and finally sold.

325/6 Blue Boy with "F" hole, 2 knobs, and Accent tailpiece. Listed for sale at The Rickenbacker Page.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I would regards Kevin's additions as definitive, as the information I got is several years old.

I'm hoping that we can get pictures of all of these--so far we've got only 4 covered.

Note that these were all built in '04, and thus some carry COYs that were then being sprayed--BB and MB.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Very nice! That Blueboy finish is growing on me a bit more.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)

Return to “RIC Outlet One Offs: by Peter McCormack”