Building Banjoline prototype

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

rikk
Intermediate Member

Building Banjoline prototype

Post by rikk »

I'm building a proof of concept prototype Banjoline out of an 3/4 scale SX strat copy. I will need to re-cut a new nut, but the thing I'm concerned about is the bridge. The Banjoline has 4 courses of string, with the highest two doubled. I will need to find or adapt a bridge for this configuration. Any ideas? I was thinking a 12 string bridge would be a good place to start. This is my first project like this do any input would be appreciated.
Ivan3000
Advanced Member

Re: Building Banjoline prototype

Post by Ivan3000 »

You could get one of these hofner bridges and then adapt the four saddles, but it is an extreme pain to intonate, I have one on my Hofner Icon, and I just drilled it into place. It is a very finniky bridge, but it has that vintage vibe, and since you'd be adapting it, you could improve it as well.

For the tailpeice, you could use either a 4 string bass tailpeice and ram two strings in one hole (for the top two sets) or you could get a six string tailpeice, but you then may have trouble with the placement from tailpeice to bridge.

The reason I say Hofner parts is because on Hofners, the string spacing is very tight.
Hope this helps.
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

This bridge looks very high compared to the strat bridge, like by an inch. Don't think this would work.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Hard tail or vibrato body?
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

It could have a B-Bender. :shock: 8)
All I wanna do is rock!
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

I'm converting a strat copy. The bridge is very close to the body so the string/saddles are about a half inch above the body. This bridge will make the action a few inches off the body so it will be impossible to play. At least that what it looks like when I look at it. I'm not a luthier, so that's why I'm asking for help. If I'm seeing it wrong and this could be installed on a 3/4 scale strat let me know how. I was hoping for something that would have movable saddles to intunation would not be a problem. now I'm thinking maybe an 8 string bridge would work better.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Did I miss something? Why is this in The Low End, are you making a bass banjo?
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

I'm making a banjoline, a kind of tenor guitar/mandola. It's low end because I'm using an SX strat copy. I want to see if this thing will be usefull. If so I may try a conversion with a higher end guitar. But for now I don't want to spend much cash getting this done.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rikk wrote:I'm making a banjoline, a kind of tenor guitar/mandola. It's low end because I'm using an SX strat copy. I want to see if this thing will be usefull. If so I may try a conversion with a higher end guitar. But for now I don't want to spend much cash getting this done.
Um, the Low End is about bass! You know the Low End? :wink:
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

Oops. Never thought of that.......ouch, headstock in the head.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Not that we couldn't hurt help you here, of course. We are truly versatile here in the forum, we could probably help put a rat face on to the top of a neck and have little feats (yeah!!!) music coming out of that banjotrampoline thingie. :mrgreen:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Before this gets too stale, you know the 5002's use a 12-string bridge, with saddle screws in the 2nd, 5th, 8th, and 11th holes? So that otter work for ya.
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

Used a Tele style bridge. Kind of neat instument. Having played this now, I can just imagine what a real Rickenbacker Banjoline would sound and feel like.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

Any pictures/recordings to share the looks/sound with us?
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
stevep21

Post by stevep21 »

Here is my effort at recreating a tenor scale length Banjoline like instrument. I bought a black Squier 3/4 Strat and got my local guitar guy to remove the neck, slim it down with his band saw and replace the bridge with a Tele style one and modify the nut to main the six string/four course conformation. I do have a series of photos but I'm not sure how to post them. I can post them on my own web site which is vintagetenorguitars.com or try photobucket.

Return to “The Low End”