leftybass
RRF Consultant

Re: Spector owners??

Post by leftybass »

Here is a pic of mine:

s4001

Post by s4001 »

If you're so inclined, the Euros go almost head to head with the USA models and cost a couple grand less. More money for Rics.... :mrgreen:
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Woodstock NS2 incoming next week! The General Manager at Sopector bent over backwards to find me a bass with just about everything I was looking for. Color & options. He found here at a shop in Texas and put me in touch with the shop owner. This guy was da bomb!! My hat is off to PJ Rubal at Spector, I owe him a beer! Oh, PJ is a former Rickenbacker bass player, FYI.

Sepp
spector-1412-2T.jpg
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

NICE!! Congrats!
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

leftybass - that's a nice looking old Euro.

And congrats, Kopfjaeger! I think the premium birdseye maple fingerboard is a fairly new menu item - maybe not so easy to find. Let me second your comments about PJ Rubal; a company couldn't ask for better customer service than he provides.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I hope you enjoy it a lot, and that it opens new possibilities for your music! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

bluewhale wrote:leftybass - that's a nice looking old Euro.

And congrats, Kopfjaeger! I think the premium birdseye maple fingerboard is a fairly new menu item - maybe not so easy to find. Let me second your comments about PJ Rubal; a company couldn't ask for better customer service than he provides.
I bought my bass from PJ when he worked at Veneman Music in 1996..good guy..!
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

bluewhale wrote:Let me second your comments about PJ Rubal; a company couldn't ask for better customer service than he provides.
Good to know - I think good customer service is the key to success for any respected business.

Looks like a great bass, Joe! 8) Looking forward to your synopsis.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Spector NBD!!

Well she finally arrived after a UPS delay! Right out of the box she almost plays herself. The concave cut of the back side of the body molds to me! She feels good, real good! The pups are very strong and her tone is very growly! I can blend in quite a bit of the P bass pups to smooth her out but for now, I like her growl!

The neck profile is a stout "C". A bit thicker from tot back than I am use to but she is quite comfortable to play! I'm almost lost with all the additional frets!! I have two full octaves on each string!! I can't remember when I've had so many options!! :lol:

How much time will it take to get use to her?? ZERO!! I belted out a half dozen songs with ease!! I'm not much of a gold hardware fan so i may have to swap those out for black! We'll see. She's a quality built instrument, for sure!!

Sepp
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

Beautiful bass, Joe! Sounds like Spector knows their stuff!
s4001

Post by s4001 »

All-out with the maple board. Nice.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Yup, the birdseye maple board is a very nice touch, indeed!! The factory strings are stainless steel and I'm not a fan of their feel. I'm off to my local GC to put on a set of DR Sunbeams in the same gauge.

Eventually, I's like to trick her out with black hardware and a de-tuner on the E. Actually Spector offers this as a factory option. Unfortunately, I did not wait the 6-9 months to have them make me one to my specs. The deal I got on this one made it very attractive! 10% 0ff the list price and free shipping. How do you pass that up?? :D

Now I need to swap out the Dunlop strap locks for Schaller so I can use my Guit custom strap. Yeah, it's set up for my Rickenbackers so it has to pull double duty!! I'm sure it won't mind!

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

Congrats on the safe arrival of your NS2! It's a beauty, and it must be a lot of fun to play.

In case you haven't already, I'd recommend reading up a little bit on the operation of the Spector locking bridge. It's simple, but a little out of the ordinary.

Enjoy,
bluewhale
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

I sawpped out the glod bridge and tuners for black ones. Got the Gotohs off of eBay for 17.00 and change a piece. teh bridge had to come from Spector and cost me 125. The bridge is massive in weight! It has to weigh a pound!! I also added a Hipstot D3-tuner on the E string. Spector offers this as an upgrade.

Real simple to install the new one and intonation was a snap! The locking bridge is pretty cool! The gold one had one lock while the black had two. I like the two adjuster since it also acts to slightly align the saddles side to side.

After I had her all tuned and intonated I had a brainstorm. I took all the strings off and put the gold saddles on the black bridge! Brilliant!! She is now one of the kind!!

I took her to her first rehearsal last night with my "serious" band and man did she perform! We record all our practices and while I knew I sounded good live, I was blown away by my sound on the CD. First off, everyone fell over when I pulled her out of her case since I've never shown up to a rehearsal without a Rickenbacker. The De-tuner was a snap to use and there was no switching basses and adjusting volume.

I'm really liking this NS2!
6.jpg
Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Kopfjaeger wrote:...everyone fell over when I pulled her out of her case since I've never shown up to a rehearsal without a Rickenbacker.

Sepp
That's why they fell over............ :wink: :mrgreen:

Return to “The Low End”