Classic Yamaha BB300

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

woodyng

Re: Classic Yamaha BB300

Post by woodyng »

I took this bass to a gig,without any backup bass,and played 2&1/2 hours with it.
All i can say is wow,this thing sounded fabulous,with a thick,wooley punch AND all the trebly crispiness one could ask for.
I think these had ceramic magnet pickups,(?),but it sounded wonderful to me through my Markbass combo and VT pedal.
I've told my friend who owns the bass,
1. Don't ever sell this bass,
2. Unless you sell it to me!
edski
Advanced Member

Post by edski »

woodyng wrote:All this from a taiwan made cheapy? Wow.
You never know where you find the sound, Woody. I've been gushing about the tone from my son's former (mine now) low end Ibanez GSR-200 since I put some NOS Fender flats on it. Very crisp tone, doesn't sound like they are flats - I did not like the tone on this bass when my son had GHS Boomers on it (and I like boomers on some basses).
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

My '84 catalog says they are Alnico mags.

Any idea what strings he has on the bass? I like D'Addario XL170s on my.

Aside form the shielding work, the only problem either of mine have had is that the tuners needed the shaft bushings turned back into tighten them. Easy fix.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

RickyBubba wrote:My '84 catalog says they are Alnico mags.
Any idea what strings he has on the bass? I like D'Addario XL170s on my.
Aside form the shielding work, the only problem either of mine have had is that the tuners needed the shaft bushings turned back into tighten them. Easy fix.
All's i knows :D is the pickup sounds great!
The strings on it are ancient roundwounds that my friend claims have been on it since he bought the bass secondhand. (And he says that's over 20 years ago! :shock: )
The strings have red threads,so i just presume they're rotosound swing bass. (Which they also feel like). We both agree there's no good reason to replace them!

Return to “The Low End”