In The Wake Of Poseidon

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jps
RRF Consultant

In The Wake Of Poseidon

Post by jps »

What bass did Greg Lake use for that record?
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Re: In The Wake Of Poseidon

Post by Ashgray »

If memory serves me right, Peter Giles was the bass player on Poseidon, using a Rick 4001. Greg had left Crimson by the time Poseidon was being recorded and Fripp only asked him to contribute vocal duties, those being shared with Gordon Haskell.

Ash
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Ash is correct; although I'm not sure about Giles using a 4001 (that'd be cool; however, and he does have a nice grindy tone). Haskell only sang on Cadence and Cascade, but became a full member for Lizard before leaving a mere two days after Lizard was completed. Interesting story about Lake's compensation for his vocal work on Poseidon: ELP needed a PA system so Fripp paid Lake for his vocal contributions by giving him a PA system he had as a spare. Or something along those lines. Too bad so many have left here for facebook or wherever; I'd like to get more folks involved in discussion of this sort.
Can we have everything louder than everything else?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Thanks for this info, i probably knew some of this but my old LPs are packed away (I could Google the info, too, but this is much better hearing this from members, here). 8) It does sound like a 4001, that would be really nice if it were. My favorite KC music was the early years, just as my favorite era of Genesis is the early years. This is the kind of music that helped inform my bass playing and musicianship, in general.

Anybody want some Cat Food? 8)

I think it would be interesting to hear Fripp play with these guys, this song, in particular.

Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

It's small and the photo's not great quality but this shot of King Crimson on Top of the pops in 1970 (performing Catfood) appears to show Peter playing a 4001:
King_Crimson_TopofThePopsLive1970.jpg
That show was also notable for being Keith Tippett's one and only appearance with Crimson.

Ash
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
Ashbory Bass
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Cool photo, Ash; no question that's a RIC - an RM almost certainly. Good to keep this going - The Low End doesn't get enough discussion, IMO. Poseidon is a great record, but where it suffers a bit (at least in the eye of the 1-2% of the public who know that King Crimson ever existed, let alone the name of their 2nd album) is that it's nearly a carbon copy of the format of Court. Compare the tracks and their styles; Pictures of a City is very much like Schizoid Man; Poseidon aligns with Epitaph, and Devil's Triangle wraps things up much like Court. Both have reflective improv or lighter material sandwiched in between the mellotron-heavy tracks. If Court had never been recorded, Poseidon might get more respect. But it's a great work nonetheless.
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

Agreed John - Poseidon IS a great album that suffers from being the second child to Court, with very similar format.

I think the main reason why Poseidon remains one of my favourite albums is simply that I heard it a good year before I heard Court. My sister bought it on cassette as a (probably 13th) birthday present and, as it had just been released, she probably thought it was one one I'd asked for (actually, Court!). As an impressionable young teenager at the time, I vividly recall the terrifying sound of The Devil's Triangle scaring me witless! When I did eventually buy Court, I suddenly realised where the "aaahs" that make a brief appearance towards the end of Hand of Sceiron had originated from!

I've had a soft spot for Poseidon ever since, and the cover ranks as one of the best for me too.

Ash
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
Ashbory Bass
FretlessOnly
Advanced Member

Post by FretlessOnly »

Here's an old thread with a color version of the photo you posed (cropped a bit): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=268203.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I know I have seen that photo or possibly a larger one of Giles, somewhere. It constantly amazes me how many bassists back in the day played a Rick bass, that I was not aware of. No wonder I play them! 8)
chromium

Post by chromium »

Had no idea that was a Ric. Think I had seen a photo of him in more recent times holding a Jazz Bass, and so I just assumed... (been fooled by that before!)

Used to cover Pictures of a City in a previous band - fun stuff.

Here's another track of Peter's that I always liked. I'm speculating that this is probably also the Ric(?)

jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Sounds very much like a Rick with flats. 8)
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

chromium wrote:Had no idea that was a Ric. Think I had seen a photo of him in more recent times holding a Jazz Bass, and so I just assumed... (been fooled by that before!)

Used to cover Pictures of a City in a previous band - fun stuff.

Here's another track of Peter's that I always liked. I'm speculating that this is probably also the Ric(?)

That is such a fine LP!
I am listening to it lately.
edski
Advanced Member

Post by edski »

Billsbro wrote:That is such a fine LP!
I am listening to it lately.
Saw this thread, had to listen to it. Devil's Triangle is meh, but most of the rest of it smokes! :mrgreen:
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

The Devil's Triangle will grow on you slowly.
edski
Advanced Member

Post by edski »

It's not like it's the first time I've listened to it. :) And at times I can get into it...I just don't think it's their best effort.

The rest of the album smokes.

Return to “The Low End”