Will this really work?

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Will this really work?

Post by cheyenne »

I've read some discussion on series cables, and came across this. Sounds like it would be handy just to have.

http://bayoucables.com/index.php?main_p ... ucts_id=89
"Knowledge is Power"
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Re: Will this really work?

Post by cheyenne »

Bueller?...........................Bueller?..................
"Knowledge is Power"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

One would need a very specific need for a series box like for a vintage tube amp, unless you have a pair of 2 Ω cabinets or something.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

I have a pair of Eden EX112 cabs I got into cheap, but they're each 4ohms. Run together in parallel would net me 2 ohms at the amp. GK's and Ampeg don't like 2ohms. I just thought this might be a solution if I ever wanted to run both cabs together.
"Knowledge is Power"
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

cheyenne wrote:I have a pair of Eden EX112 cabs I got into cheap, but they're each 4ohms. Run together in parallel would net me 2 ohms at the amp. GK's and Ampeg don't like 2ohms. I just thought this might be a solution if I ever wanted to run both cabs together.
Yep, it should work fine. 14ga wire inside is the minimum I would want though. More like 10 or maybe 12 ga. would be better, methings. Plastic box also, considering the shipping weight.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cheyenne wrote:I have a pair of Eden EX112 cabs I got into cheap, but they're each 4ohms. Run together in parallel would net me 2 ohms at the amp. GK's and Ampeg don't like 2ohms. I just thought this might be a solution if I ever wanted to run both cabs together.
Just use both amps, one for each cabinet, and while you're at it use the ROS on your bass. 8)
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

They do rock like that Jeff, :D GK MB500 and an Ampeg PF500, plenty of juice.

I did buy the box, just for a novelty at first, then got to thinking about the advantages of having one in my tool box, I'll probably never use it, but Its well made, don't like the plastic box though. I'll post some internal pics this weekend.

I'll hook it all up and test it with my ohm meter and see how it reads first.
"Knowledge is Power"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There's probably a reason for the plastic box, to eliminate the possibility of shorting the amp output to ground if it should hit or lay against something it shouldn't be.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Good thought. Wiring is really good, silicone around jacks.
"Knowledge is Power"
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The reason I thought of the shorting thing is from the owner's manual to Walter Woods amps regarding the special bridging cable needed when using the stereo models in bridged mono mode. He says to use only plastic body 1/4" plugs when making up the cable to minimize the chance of shorting the two amplifier outputs together.

Return to “The Low End”