Schecter Stiletto 8 ???

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Billsbro

Schecter Stiletto 8 ???

Post by Billsbro »

Hi Kids! Anyone have any experience with the Schecter Stiletto 8 string? I played one yesterday and was intrigued. Reviews seem quite good...one video review pointed out that from the factory the action seemed a bit too low so that it buzzed a bit. My experience seemed to bear that out but I should think raising the action a smidge would help. Anyone with any feedback on this instrument? Or, are there any other 8 stringers in the $500 to $800 range you like? (ESP B 208) Thanks in advance!
marcinkus
Veteran RRF member

Re: Schecter Stiletto 8 ???

Post by marcinkus »

Hi, I have one in amber finish, IMO is the best 8 in that price range, nice craftmanship and clear sound 8)
'96 4004C | '98 4003 | '00 4003vp | '05 4003 Custom | '08 4004Cii | '16 4000 Conversion
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I didn't get to play one,but that model was at the top of my list when i was looking for an affordable 8 -string,as I have played a couple of the 4- string versions of this,and they are nicely made. Also,I think this is about the only NT design in the under $1000 range.
I ended up with something quite different (Fernandes Gravity Eight ),which i am very happy with,but they are kind of a rarity.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

marcinkus wrote:Hi, I have one in amber finish, IMO is the best 8 in that price range, nice craftmanship and clear sound 8)
Grazi Marcello!
Did you have any issues with buzzing?
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

woodyng wrote:I didn't get to play one,but that model was at the top of my list when i was looking for an affordable 8 -string,as I have played a couple of the 4- string versions of this,and they are nicely made. Also,I think this is about the only NT design in the under $1000 range.
I ended up with something quite different (Fernandes Gravity Eight ),which i am very happy with,but they are kind of a rarity.
Right on time, Woody! I hoped and expected a reply because of your new 8-string (I read your Fernandez Thread as homework and didn't want to hijack that one so I started this Thread). I always like your approach and your comments here and over on TB.

I'd love to hear of your approach (and Marcello too) to using an 8-string in your music. One often hears of it being used in a power trio (think The Who, Zep) to "Flesh out the rhythm section." But of course they have been used with larger bands too (Yes). When do you think an 8 string "works?" Or, can an 8 string fit in almost everywhere?

I like the concept of solo compositions on an 8 string...the lovely blended high-low effect seems brilliant for languid, lyrical playing.

Chime in anyone...
marcinkus
Veteran RRF member

Post by marcinkus »

No buzzing, any bass can be adjusted to personal taste, the guy who did the rewiev should know that.
'96 4004C | '98 4003 | '00 4003vp | '05 4003 Custom | '08 4004Cii | '16 4000 Conversion
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

marcinkus wrote:No buzzing, any bass can be adjusted to personal taste, the guy who did the rewiev should know that.
Good. And i was surprised too...this wasn't one of those "visit-the-store-and-make-a-video-review" things...it was a fairly good review in general. He mentioned at the end that it would be easy to adjust the neck. But one would think that would have been done before the review.

Anyway, thanks for your info.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Stephen,thanks kindly for the kind words! 8)
I play in 2 very different sounding bands, and have used the 8-string extensively in both,just trying it on for size if you will,on any and all of the original music we play. I think it works quite well on most of the songs,i've even found a way to de-emphasize the octave strings if i find them "too much" of a good thing in any particular song. One band is a sort of power/punk trio,and the octave strings really help fill out the rhythm section when its time for the guitar solos. The other band is more multi-vocal oriented with acoustic gtr and keyboards in the mix,and i find i have a bit more leeway to do upper register fills,chords,as well as the usual melodic bass runs. I normally play the 8 with a pick,but will sometimes play fingerstyle if i want to mute the octave strings while playing.
Really i find i can pretty much use the 8 on anything i would normally use a 4 string on. The only thing is with the lighter fundamental strings on the 8, i do miss the smackintheface punch of my 4004's.
As far as solo bass work,not my forte,but i have worked out a pretty cool version of the Byrd's "so you wanna be a rocknroll star".
I went without an 8-string for 30 years,(my first one was a Veillette Citron,fabulous bass!),and am thoroughly glad i got the Fernandes. I am using it much more than my other "specialty" bass,a Carvin fretless.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

A thoughtful and though-provoking post there, Woody...thanks!

Between your post here and all the posts I read on the subject of 8-stringers over on TB, I really want one!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

There is a new and fabulous looking Sandberg 8 string,but that is probably more $$$!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Sandberg produces some lovely instruments!
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Hey Marcello, what brand of strings do you use on it? (I may have a possibility to get a used Schecter and it will need new strings...)

And you too, Woody...I don't recall from your Thread what you like on your new 8-er?
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Billsbro wrote:Hey Marcello, what brand of strings do you use on it? (I may have a possibility to get a used Schecter and it will need new strings...)

And you too, Woody...I don't recall from your Thread what you like on your new 8-er?
It came with a set of Daddarios on it,and as usual,i found their inherent stiffness very difficult,or at least uncomfortable, to play. I replaced them with a set of balanced Kalium strings,better in every respect as far as string tension,playability,and sound are concerned.I can't recommend them highly enough,i have a set on my Laredo,and they still sound great after being on for several years. They are one of the smoothest (maybe because they're tightly wound?) roundwound strings i've ever felt,so they feel almost like a flatwound,but have all the clang and edge you want from a RW string.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

Excellent feedback, Wood-ster! I will check them out.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

The website is pretty daunting,at least to me,so I would suggest calling them. I mistakenly ordered an "8 -string balanced set", that was meant for an instrument having non-octave piano-like range of strings. As it turned out,the gauges worked out for my application anyway,although i did have to order another single string to get the correct gauge. There are hundreds of string combinations on the website,but if you call,someone can advise.

Return to “The Low End”