FOLDED HORN ENCLOSURE ???

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

superheavydeathmetal

Re: FOLDED HORN ENCLOSURE ???

Post by superheavydeathmetal »

Here is a nice vintage design if you want to start with something simple:

:lol:
Gilmourisgod wrote:I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

superheavydeathmetal wrote:Here is a nice vintage design if you want to start with something simple:

Isn't that more of a transmission line than a folded horn?

Looks simple enough for the first time DIY cabinet builder, for sure! :twisted:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Looks like there would be way too much wave dispersion out of the huge vent in the side...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
stevebasshead

Post by stevebasshead »

superheavydeathmetal wrote:Here is a nice vintage design if you want to start with something simple:

Amazing! Or rather, a-maze-ing. But I'm lost. I think I turned left when I should've turned right...! When you've stuck a speaker in that thing can you hit a nice big low 'E' and I'll be ejected and free at last!
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

Bought new in '71, played out many times, retired in '85.
What has kept it home, other than the size, is that it is lacking in highs, and hard to predict how loud to set it.Have to stand 8 or more feet in front th hear it's true sound, and not many of my hangouts have that much room.Often I was too loud,and didn't know it.
I've read of similar effects of the Acoustic 360s.

Overkill
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

fatcat wrote:Often I was too loud,and didn't know it.
You say that like it's a bad thing. :twisted:
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

Copying the 400 ps enclosure wouldn't be a first, PeeVey cloned it at about the same time frame.
Copied it closeley enough that theirs had the same weak baffle that was prone to cracking,in the earlier ones.Including mine.
Baffle was reolaced free even after warranty expired.

I had a way out idea occurr to me, of suggesting that a scaled-up version be made, to house one of the 30" woofers that EV made.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I had a way out idea occurr to me, of suggesting that a scaled-up version be made, to house one of the 30" woofers that EV made.
That's fine....until you get to that gig where the guy says "Sorry fellows, but the freight elevator is broken and you'll have to carry that stuff up the stairs to the third floor".
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

That's when you'd need one shrunk down with an Ampeg 10" driver.
Reminiscent of Stonehenge
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

My friend picked up a pair of badly beaten up 360 cabinets. We've fitted new 18" speakers and added two bass ports to each and using them for PA subs. They work really well. If they weren't beyond restorable, we wouldn't have repurposed.

I would like to build a folded horn enclosure to sit beside my Henry 8x8, same size and all. The logic against that is that I have no reason for such stage volume... anywhere!

Return to “The Low End”