My first Gibson bass purchase ever....

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

woodyng

Re: My first Gibson bass purchase ever....

Post by woodyng »

(George Costanza-"there was Shrinkage!") :lol: which i don't believe we can blame this time.

I noticed the same thing on the only other one of these i played a few monthes ago,(a 2014 model)and several other people have remarked similar observations with their reviews....I think what we have here is just a certain level of QC......maybe to be expected in lower cost instruments,and this was certainly mid line priced originally.....not a dealbreaker for me.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

At least, it is an addressable issue, the shrinkage, notwithstanding!
iamthebassman
Veteran RRF member

Post by iamthebassman »

Glad it worked out, I love mine, and it reminds me of an Embassy as well.
My fave setting is Tone and both Volumes maxxed, with the bridge Volume pulled up.
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" Austin Music Poll 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

So far i'm really digging the all humbucker sound,with the tone control at about 50%.
At full-on with the tone pot,the treble zing on this thing SLICES. :shock:
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

At $599.00 with a case, you cant go wrong. I'd have been all over it.
"Knowledge is Power"
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I've used it for several practices now,it has a great sound,and i love the neck feel,and rosewood fretboard.
I do think it needs something different string wise,the SS RW's on it just don't quite sound "right" for it. I'm thinking half-rounds,or maybe even a light set of Chromes......i might even try the Labella LTF set on it,since i took those off the 4000.
edski
Advanced Member

Post by edski »

If it's too much treble bite, it sounds like my beef with my 4001. GHS Brite Flats were a good compromise for that bass.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I used it last night without the VT pedal,(the wall wart finally broke). :x
it actually sounds great just through the amp.
partime

Post by partime »

Interesting to read opinions, especially from musicians. I am a Gibson/Rickenbacker guy, although I do have one American fender P with a Jazz pu on it. I play all my basses depending on the situation. Three excellent Ricks (3000 is incredible) along with a 4004 and 2060 all completely different in their own way. Same with my five Gibsons, all have their own place, sound and playability. EBO slab w/bakelite, EB2D,EB3,LP Junior, and short scale T-bird. A lot of names have used Gibsons and just like the other brands there are good ones and bad ones. If one talks back too much out the door it goes. When one inspires new music and is easy to play and maintain I keep em. Amp settings, effects, and strings can all bring something to the table. There are others (brands) that I would like to incorporate but eating and paying the mortgage are import too.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I was at an open mic jam last night,and the person putting it on had a 70's Gibson Grabber bass,that had a beautiful playing action. That thing had a great feeling,possibly unfinished,neck. (More likely it was just a worn off finish,it looked like it had lived every single minute of it's life playing in bars,but in a good way).
I had brought my Cheyenne bass,so i didn't play the Gib through an amp.I am curious to see what it sounds like,maybe next time......
The more i play the EB,the more i like it,the small light body and slender neck are awesome,as are the bridge,pickups,electronics. She's going to be getting a fret dressing soon......
RickyBubba
Intermediate Member

Post by RickyBubba »

Glad you found some happiness, I wasn't sure how the thread would turn out. I personally hate rough fret edges, even though they are often a cinch to clean up. I'm still a huge fan of the early/mid 1980 Yamaha basses for quality reasons. They are just sweet..as long as they weren't ragged out.

What kind of tunes you been playing on the Gibson?
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

RickyBubba wrote:Glad you found some happiness, I wasn't sure how the thread would turn out. I personally hate rough fret edges, even though they are often a cinch to clean up. I'm still a huge fan of the early/mid 1980 Yamaha basses for quality reasons. They are just sweet..as long as they weren't ragged out.

What kind of tunes you been playing on the Gibson?
The guy i take my guitars to seems to think the fret dressing will be a cinch,so i am thinking it will be fine.
I play in 2 mostly originals bands,one is more of a rock n roll power trio of sorts,where the guitarist is a cross between Keith Richards and Frank Zappa (!),and the other is a multi vocal pop/rock with 2 guitars,keyboards,etc. almost all of it is upbeat and energetic,danceable stuff. We do a few covers by the Preatures,Best Coast,ELO,imagine Dragons....if that gives you an idea of what we like....
No Guitar Blues jams, thank you. (I get lost!) 8)
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but since we were on the topic of Gibson basses, I was just wondering if anyone here ever owned a Gibson Victory bass? Back in the early '80s I had my eye on a Victory Artist (2 pickup) with a Candy Apple Red finish. To date, I've never owned one but I always liked the way they played, one of the best Gibson basses I've ever played....
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

squirebass wrote:Not to hijack the thread or anything, but since we were on the topic of Gibson basses, I was just wondering if anyone here ever owned a Gibson Victory bass? Back in the early '80s I had my eye on a Victory Artist (2 pickup) with a Candy Apple Red finish. To date, I've never owned one but I always liked the way they played, one of the best Gibson basses I've ever played....
Hey,hijack away,Gene!
I have not owned one,the 1-2 examples i've picked up over the years didn't compel me. (Super heavy,for starters!)

Also,back on the subject of my EB,i've decided to part with it,in case anyone is interested.
It's absolutley pristine,has a beautiful Gibson hardshell case,and I'm just wanting to get what i paid for it. ($600!)
edski
Advanced Member

Post by edski »

Almost traded my 4001 for a Victory when I was young and stupid. Glad I didn't.

I think Joey Vasco (Rickenbrother) has a 5 string Victory and has said it's solid.

Return to “The Low End”