Short scale basses

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

cassius987

Short scale basses

Post by cassius987 »

I am starting to get really interested in acquiring a short scale bass. My dad's fake Hofner has a nice thump to it. The market for short scales is so scattered, though... I really don't know where to start. I find myself really interested in certain models but overall find myself scared that low string tension + neck pickup will equal too much string grab on the fatter strings. The SG Bass in particular gives me this concern, with its "mudbucker" and 30.5'' scale.

Mostly, I'm interested in the enhanced fundamental and easier playability of the short scales, but will not compromise on sound. I don't value (and actually dislike) the sterile uber-harmonics of really long scale instruments. So what I mean about not compromising sound is primarily avoiding muddiness, while possibly picking up more fundamental thump. I don't think the two are mutually exclusive, in my experience.
myrtbass

Re: Short scale basses

Post by myrtbass »

The newer basses do not have the old mud bucker style pickup.It has a dual rail type pickup under the cover.Although it is still powerful it is not overly so.There is a sweet spot with the two volume controls that works.The SG is another tool in the arsenal.I own one and kind of like it.My two cents worth.
T28

Post by T28 »

The Ampeg Dan Armstrongs clear lucite were really nice short scale basses and with the changeable slide in pups they had a decent variety of sound. You can find originals and re-issues. The only downside was the weight.
Happyface

Post by Happyface »

Check out the "Newark Street" Guild basses if you can.

May be an interesting alternative. I'd prefer the form of the M-85 over the Starfire, but that's personal preference being a relatively small specimen.
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Try one of these:
Front-800_1028.jpg
I was was quite happy with the tone from the stock pickup, and I understand that there is a drop-in by Nordstrand that is probably excellent if you want a top quality aftermarket choice (not that I found anything lacking in the Fender pickup).

Lightweight, solid feeling, comfortable. Mine was a mid '90s CIJ model. This photo was from when I put it up for sale a few years ago. While I had the bass I installed Hipshot Ultratite tuning keys and an A Style bridge, and put TI Jazz Rounds on it.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Mustangs are nice basses. Didn't Jeffrey Hammond-Hammond play one of those in Tull? I traded a Guild Starfire II guitar ('62 w/deArmonds...young and dumb, NOT bragging) for a nice sunburst Mustang. I used it for a while and sold it. My friend still has the Guild as his main guitar, so God Bless. My problem with short scales is the string spacing and neck width. Burns makes the Nu-Sonic which might fit the bill.

Just checked: The width at the nut is pretty close to a Rick, 42mm on the Burnss vs 42.8 on a 4003. Just checked again, same as a Hofner. Now I can move on.
Last edited by Kiddwad57 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Happyface wrote:Check out the "Newark Street" Guild basses if you can.

May be an interesting alternative. I'd prefer the form of the M-85 over the Starfire, but that's personal preference being a relatively small specimen.
Ooh, love the sound of the Starfire bass in the demo. Thanks!
jps wrote:Try one of these:
Front-800_1028.jpg
I've always been intrigued by them, what led you to giving it up?
Kiddwad57 wrote:My problem with short scales is the string spacing and neck width.
Oh, do they commonly have narrower necks and string spacing? I hadn't really noticed this. Although thinking of it, Dad's fake Hofner is kind of like that.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

cassius987 wrote:I've always been intrigued by them, what led you to giving it up?
It kept me from playing my Ricks! :mrgreen: It really was a very nice bass, and if I were to go back to a short scale instrument (other then my guitars) I'd get another Mustang.

The nut width on mine was like a Jazz Bass. IIRC, the '60s Mustang Basses are more Precision like in nut width.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Mostly a right hand string spacing thing, especially when the going gets rough.

Hey, what about a short scale 3000? They're out there and this is, after all, the Rickresource. Maybe someone here can give the lowdown, specs, etc.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

Personally, I think your concerns are way overblown. There is nothing difficult about playing short scale basses as far as I can tell after owning Gibson, Guild, Hofner and original Hagstrom short scales, some fretted, some fretless. Even switching from the longer scales of my Pedulla or Rick 2030 isn't really a big deal. An old EB Gibson or Hagstrom H2 (lightning fast neck) would be a decent choice. The mudbucker doesn't record as well as it might and is improved drastically by wiring in something else to go with it and add some crispness. My fretless EBO eventually got a walnut Les Paul body and a precision pickup added as a bridge pickup, which made a huge difference. I never got the feeling that my short scale basses were compromising the sound at all. It was good enough for Elektra Records.

The current fleet: Fretless Kala U-Bass, my old modified Gibson EB/LP, modified RIC 2030, 1969 Hagstrom 8-String, Pedulla Buzz and fretless and fretted Hofner V63s.
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... es-006.jpg

Sound clips from left to right in the photo:
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... es%20a.mp3
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

The current fleet: Fretless Kala U-Bass, my old modified Gibson EB/LP, modified RIC 2030, 1969 Hagstrom 8-String, Pedulla Buzz and fretless and fretted Hofner V63s.

TEB-

Nice pod of basses!

My first good bass was a black, early '60s Hagstrom I, strung with RotoSound Tru-Bass. Like you said, really fast neck. Through a Vox Westy it was an enormous sound.

Some of the new Hagstrom's look promising as well, but haven't had the opportunity play one.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

teb wrote:Personally, I think your concerns are way overblown. There is nothing difficult about playing short scale basses as far as I can tell after owning Gibson, Guild, Hofner and original Hagstrom short scales, some fretted, some fretless. Even switching from the longer scales of my Pedulla or Rick 2030 isn't really a big deal. An old EB Gibson or Hagstrom H2 (lightning fast neck) would be a decent choice. The mudbucker doesn't record as well as it might and is improved drastically by wiring in something else to go with it and add some crispness. My fretless EBO eventually got a walnut Les Paul body and a precision pickup added as a bridge pickup, which made a huge difference. I never got the feeling that my short scale basses were compromising the sound at all. It was good enough for Elektra Records.

http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... es-006.jpg

Sound clips from left to right in the photo:
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... es%20a.mp3
Thanks, though I'm not concerned about anything beyond not having much experience with "good" short scales. My comment about string grab is about the pickup magnets pulling on low tension areas of the strings--I know it doesn't always happen, but it did happen to me once (with a Ric neck pickup, aftermarket magnet with overpowered alnico slugs, and extremely low action).

Mostly I'd just like to avoid common mistakes in shopping for short scales. Most of what's easy to find in the short scale market tends to be cheaply made, although even there, there seems to be a lot of good stuff. (I will say that I'm not a big fan of the Kala basses, though... having played a few and wanting to like them when they came out a few years ago. Sound is nice enough, but I don't enjoy the playing experience.)

I guess it's kind of like the Ric search all over again. I played lots of basses before finding Rics as my favorite among the (almost) regular 34'' scale basses.

Honestly, a 30.5'' Ric or thereabouts would be a neat thing. Maybe I need to get one of those 3000 series basses. Weren't they short scale?

I do find Dad's fake Hofner a bit cramped once I get above the 12th fret or so. I guess I want something in between. 32'' scale?

Thanks, by the way, for your sound clips. All very nice!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

There are some 32" scale basses out there but the only I am intimately familiar with are the two Alembic basses I owned years ago.
teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I've never experienced any "string grab" if I'm understanding what you're talking about on any bass I've owned in over 45 years of playing, and I'm not aware of any of my short scale basses seeming to have particularly lower string tension than any other bass. I suppose it might depend on how hard you play and I've always used a pretty light touch but I think it's certainly possible to over-analyze these things. If you're truly good, you'll sound pretty good on damned near any instrument. The Kala is definitely one you do have to warm up to. The rubber strings are kind of sticky and it takes a few minutes to adjust your playing style and timing so that the string gets released at the point that you intended to release it. Once you get that little delay figured out, you're good to go.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

teb wrote:...I think it's certainly possible to over-analyze these things. If you're truly good, you'll sound pretty good on damned near any instrument.
This is all logical. If we're at a dinner party and the only guitar around is a reasonably nice but small Suzuki nylon string guitar, you know it will get passed around and everyone will still have a great time. When it comes to our main players though, having preferences is not a bad thing.

Return to “The Low End”