jps
RRF Consultant

Re: R.I.P. David Bowie

Post by jps »

R.I.P. Ziggy. :(
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Bowie and his Spiders band were a huge influence on my teenage head. I saw them in concert in Memphis for both the Ziggy and Alladin Sane tours,and those shows ranked with my favorite concert experiences ever.
Sad that Mr Jones has rejoined his former mates Trevor Bolder and Mick Ronson today.... :(
I will be cranking up "man who sold the world"!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

My first band used to play about half of Spiders From Mars, as well as other Bowie tunes. Trevor Boulder was Aa big influence early on.
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

Great loss.
Very sad but I wish we could all depart this world knowing that we have left such a great legacy behind us.
He will be missed.
So long and thanks for all the fish!
Dom

Post by Dom »

I'm heartbroken. He left music & art lessons for all of us. I didn't write decent complete songs with lyrics until I studied his music. Singing his music is how I really figured out my voice...how to control the breaks & use the weak spots to my advantage. It gave me the confidence to become a singer instead of a sideman. It was like finding a secret door. Heroes, Low, Earthling and Outside made a huge impact on me at that critical time. I recently lost my mother to an 18 month battle with cancer. That Bowie kept his cancer battle a secret is what you'd expect of such an artist and the strength it must have taken is unquestionable...I'm glad he gave us Blackstar just before leaving.

I was in the midst of a vivid nightmare last night now burned forever inside me. Pounding rain & wind, frogs & denizens escaping a lake with fast approaching tornadoes no one else could see & walls were breaking. I was reaching out for my father's hand when I was woken by a text...David Bowie has just died. So has a pioneer of the spirit of music...but his fingerprints are indelibly left on what he helped mold. The future owes him due respect.

He once said that the Ric 12 string was a guitar with a manifesto about it. I quite agree.
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

Dom wrote:I'm heartbroken. He left music & art lessons for all of us. I didn't write decent complete songs with lyrics until I studied his music. Singing his music is how I really figured out my voice...how to control the breaks & use the weak spots to my advantage. It gave me the confidence to become a singer instead of a sideman. It was like finding a secret door. Heroes, Low, Earthling and Outside made a huge impact on me at that critical time. I recently lost my mother to an 18 month battle with cancer. That Bowie kept his cancer battle a secret is what you'd expect of such an artist and the strength it must have taken is unquestionable...I'm glad he gave us Blackstar just before leaving.

I was in the midst of a vivid nightmare last night now burned forever inside me. Pounding rain & wind, frogs & denizens escaping a lake with fast approaching tornadoes no one else could see & walls were breaking. I was reaching out for my father's hand when I was woken by a text...David Bowie has just died. So has a pioneer of the spirit of music...but his fingerprints are indelibly left on what he helped mold. The future owes him due respect.

He once said that the Ric 12 string was a guitar with a manifesto about it. I quite agree.
Dominic, you really found appropriate words. Our planet is some million years old, but only we can say that we lived in the short episode of David Bowie's life, we will keep him in touch with ground control.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

What Dom said. :(
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."

Return to “Landmarks”