Prince passed...

Announcements, Birthdays, Congratulations, Commemorations & Obituaries

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

xpitt
Intermediate Member

Prince passed...

Post by xpitt »

...aged only 57. ...rest in peace. This is another incridble news.
girllennon76

Re: Prince passed...

Post by girllennon76 »

I only went on lunch break before 1pm ET and come back ten minutes later to see the news blowing up. I was never a huge fan of Prince growing up, but I always acknowledge his brilliance as a performer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. The man was one of those rare talents who spanned several decades and always remained the epitome of cool.

It's a bloody shame that he's gone but he's leaving one hell of a legacy. He made 39 albums in his career and still was working on more music. His evolution of sound, song and appearance is right up there with David Bowie.

I don't think I can handle more loss of the musical greats: Lemmy, Bowie, Glenn Frey, Merle Haggard and now Prince.
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

May the 'Purple Prodigy' Rest In Peace...
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

I'd completely agree with your assessment, Joelle - he's up there with Bowie in my book too.

Paisley Park is two miles from my house. Feels like we've lost a neighbour as well. It's been a busy day around here.
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

girllennon76 wrote:I only went on lunch break before 1pm ET and come back ten minutes later to see the news blowing up. I was never a huge fan of Prince growing up, but I always acknowledge his brilliance as a performer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. The man was one of those rare talents who spanned several decades and always remained the epitome of cool.

It's a bloody shame that he's gone but he's leaving one hell of a legacy. He made 39 albums in his career and still was working on more music. His evolution of sound, song and appearance is right up there with David Bowie.

I don't think I can handle more loss of the musical greats: Lemmy, Bowie, Glenn Frey, Merle Haggard and now Prince.
Well said, girllennon. I also wasn't a fan growing up but I also always acknowledged his brilliance. I had friends and girlfriends that were big fans, so I had to listen to him often. And I didn't really mind. It's not that I disliked him, I was just more of a classic rock guy. Every now and then he'd record a song that I really liked. I finally went to see him in concert about 5 or 6 years ago with my ex and what a great show it was. I knew it would be.

Hard to believe that a guy that looked so young and healthy could die of pneumonia. Not that that has been listed as the official cause yet, but that's what the new sources seem to be indicating.
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

This is crushing....
girllennon76

Post by girllennon76 »

rickaddict wrote:
girllennon76 wrote:I only went on lunch break before 1pm ET and come back ten minutes later to see the news blowing up. I was never a huge fan of Prince growing up, but I always acknowledge his brilliance as a performer, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist. The man was one of those rare talents who spanned several decades and always remained the epitome of cool.

Well said, girllennon. I also wasn't a fan growing up but I also always acknowledged his brilliance. I had friends and girlfriends that were big fans, so I had to listen to him often. And I didn't really mind. It's not that I disliked him, I was just more of a classic rock guy. Every now and then he'd record a song that I really liked. I finally went to see him in concert about 5 or 6 years ago with my ex and what a great show it was. I knew it would be.

Hard to believe that a guy that looked so young and healthy could die of pneumonia. Not that that has been listed as the official cause yet, but that's what the new sources seem to be indicating.
It's been said it may take weeks for the autopsy results to come back. I'm having a hard time processing this, fan or not :( I loved a handful of songs [on radio] and some covers other people did, Darling Nikki by the Foo Fighters being a fave. I'm a classic rock girl, but listen to all genres. I was too young to get into his music at the time (I was 8 when Purple Rain was out). The sign of a true artist is the timelessness of their music. Prince is among them and transcended all genres and age groups.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Big fan here.

We went to a screening of Purple Rain tonight. A fun and fitting memorial.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

I've always enjoyed the album 1999, thought the film Purple Rain was cool when it came out, and like the single Raspberry Beret. It was always a treat when he showed up unexpectedly on TV, especially with his band. I guess I took Prince for granted. Too bad he died so young, he will be missed. His half-time show in the rain was awesome!
Don't let democracy end democracy.

Return to “Landmarks”