You Am I - Crockenbacker 360Fs

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

It did not go unnoticed that you even have a 360F on your PC monitor.
Shaking the floor of Heaven
8mileshigh

Post by 8mileshigh »

That's a very nice wall you have there John! I hope you're not in an earthquake zone!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nor the page you are looking at John. Fantastic guitar.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I did (as part of my never-ending Rickenbacker education) some online research on the Crockenbackers. Piers Crocker is the creator. From what I can glean, he is a luthier in Oz, who repairs You Am I's instruments. Tim Rogers, who was a confirmed Tele player, was at Piers' studio, saw one of the Crockenbackers hanging on the wall, and asked if it was for sale. Piers sold it to him, and also another.

Sorry if this is common knowledge to anyone; but I did think that for those of us who didn't know, it might start a bit of knoweldge-sharing on this topic.

Can anybody add to this, please?
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

Piers has only made a few of these instruments (it's not his sole profession). It's hard to pour salt on his tail...

He is however a true lover of guitars.
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

You can see and hear them in 'Dirty Deeds' -a fine, fine film featuring John Goodman. Set in the late 60s, of course.

=NCR=
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I just sent Piers an e-mail, and will await a reply. He is apparently quite the guitar historian as well as a superb luthier. He also builds Selmer-Maccaferri replicas, and has built acoustics and a viola-style bass for You Am I's bass player.

He has built five Crockenbackers, of which Tim owns four. I've seen three of the four now. (the third is a black replica 360F). But the pickguard still looks wrong to me...Piers is supposed to be excellent on research, so we'll see what he has to say about that and the Gretsch tailpiece. Probably something like, "so what?"

You mention this as his second profession: Is he the same Piers Crocker who is the well-regarded archaeologist?

And, Noel, I'm gonna rent "Dirty Deeds."
“I say in speeches that a plausible mission of artists is to make people appreciate being alive at least a little bit. I am then asked if I know of any artists who pulled that off. I reply, 'The Beatles did.”
― Kurt Vonnegut
86kubicki
Advanced Member

Post by 86kubicki »

I'm surprised that no one has raised the copyright infringement issue regarding these copies. I guess I've just raised it!
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

Piers also put the headstock back on my '66 Rose, Morris 1998(before I owned it), and signed the control cavity for the repair. Great work, but why, oh why, oh why would anyone overspray the repair area with FireGlo, so it looks brand spangly, when the rest of the guitar is completely original, and looks like it's 39 years old?! Instead of just "professionally repaired headstock", I have to add "...with professional overspray to repair" to it's description. The repair itself is perfect, not even a bump.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Interesting...to each his own, I guess. Everybody has his/her own preferences. If it were me, I'd ask the owner how he'd like to see it.
― Kurt Vonnegut
bails
Veteran RRF member

Post by bails »

"I'd ask the owner how he'd like to see it."

This probably is the way the previous owner liked to see it. It's just a shame, because it looks so ridiculous. The rest of the guitar is well worn, with bare wood on the back of the neck, and top of body, like it's been played for all 39 of it's years, then it has this shiny new section of finish on the back of the headstock, that looks like it just came from the showroom.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Yeah, Mark too bad...seems like this is a real irritation to you. I know it would be to me, and probably a majority of the people who read this, too.

Did you brace him about it? What did he say? Is it possible to return it and have him "age" it for you?
― Kurt Vonnegut
jsm610
Intermediate Member

Post by jsm610 »

Here is a picture of the black 360F Crockenbacker, actually a 12 string, and also a shot from 'Dirty Deeds".

Paul: keep us updated on any response from Piers!

jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Cool. I still think he's got the pick guards wrong on 'em...

They are quite large, aren't they? I'll be sure to let you know if and when I hear from Piers!
― Kurt Vonnegut
headbanger
Veteran RRF member

Re: You Am I - Crockenbacker 360Fs

Post by headbanger »

I think as far as the Gretch tailpiece goes it's what you can find down gere. Just how many long F type trapiezes are out there?

He sure gives them a hiding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xz1V3y953Xk

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”