Rick 325 mod?

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

hofner63

Rick 325 mod?

Post by hofner63 »

Would appreciate any help on what mods I could do to my 1983 Rick 325 that have high gain pickups. Physically and or electroniclly.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

JS: What would you like to achieve with the modifications? Also, why not send in a photo through email or post it here so that we might discuss this instrument in detail. Alternatively, what is the current color, trim and type of nameplate?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
hofner63

Post by hofner63 »

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Here are the photos.

ImageImage
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Well a good start and an obvious one would be to replace the high gains with toasters. I would also wire the fifth knob so it becomes the volume pot for the middle pickup and then you can dial it out of the equation whenever you wish.

hofner63

Post by hofner63 »

Peter, I have already wired the 5th knob to be a volume only control for the middle PU.

By the way, how does one post pics directly instaed of how I did it?
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Having the Accent tremelo fitted is a good head start. As Peter said, a set of Re-issue Scatter wound toaster pickups would be the next step. You could get a set of the re-issue plain black knobs while you're at it. It'll be pretty close to a 325V63 style guitar then
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

Are the high-gains in this '83 325 long-pole pickups?? I'm just curious as to what kind of routing is under the existing pickups...
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

High gains have a large rectangular magnet. The routing is fairly large to accommodate this.

You can always get toasters into a Ric that has had high gains.

Doesn't work the other way around though.....
hofner63

Post by hofner63 »

Glen, just recently replaced all 5 knobs with the plain black style. Can you tell me exactly what type(model number)re-issue scatter wound toaster pickups I would need? Would all three be the same kind?

Thanks!
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

If you go to Mike Parks' Ric spare parts page the pickups are listed as part # 00030

http://www.the-music-connection.com/ricpart.htm

All three can be the same kind for a Ric that's previously had highgains in it.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Glen;
Not Always true about toasters fitting into a Hi Gain routed Rick. I tried this with a fiends' '78 4001 and we had to rout a little deeper to accomodate the long toaster magnets.YMMV...
glen_l

Post by glen_l »

Guess I wasn't thinking of that scenario. In Basses and other Rics (like 425's) where the pickup is mounted through the pickguard and therefore deeper into the body you would likely have to route for the pole magnets.
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Also, post-mid 80s Ricks have been routed with a "universal depth" cutout under the PUs[specifically guitars; I've not seen the insides of nearly as many basses from that time, save for v63 4001.
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

I sell the 'short' magnets at my shop. They're very cool and eliminate the 'routing' problem.
Show him the shirts, Adrian.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”