Chris Squire 4001S

Artists Who Use Rickenbackers

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Gerry

Chris Squire 4001S

Post by Gerry »

Hi Everyone,I seek photo's of Chris Squire's original 4001S/1999 that was used for the base model of the 4001CS signature model. I've searched the net and ALL the pictures of Chris seem to show him with the LE model.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello Gerry. Interesting question. My response may fall short but please have a look at the link below.
Chris Squire's Model 1999
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

Gerry ,try and find a copy of Guitar World Sept.1987 with Squire and Rabin on the cover.Thre is a really good photo of the bass on its stand in front of his amp.Failing this,how about the inside cover of Fragile (vinyl not CD reissue)and the booklet that comes with Yessongs Lp.Note that up until around 74 the Squire bass had an ebony nut,nowadays it is either bone or plastic.I am sometimes tempted to replace the nut on my 4001CS but I want it to remain as original as poss.Lastly,my brother saw YES at Manchester University Students Union in 1970 and distinctly remembers Chris leaping around and tripping up breaking the neck of his bass.I have heard about him having the neck repaired in the past so presumably it was the same incident.Best of luck with the pictures.
Too many basses is an oxymoron
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

I know for a fact it ws broken and was sent to the factroy for fixing .

Bill Meyers and I worked on it .

Gluing it back together was no problem ...but the color matching was a nightmare .

This was about 1974 ,not too sure but that does seem correct .I think in terms of where I spent most of my time in the plant and what year it was .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
gerry

Post by gerry »

Mark, would you please describe the break and how it was repaired?
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Sure ...the headstock was cracked from the end of the fretboard into the heal of the back of the headstock .

In other words it was severed.

It was not 100% off .There were a few threads of wood holding it together.The only way to piece it together was to thin some epoxy down with acetone (this allows it to creep/seep into the smallest of gaps)and pour it in .On top of this thinned down batch went a standard mix.These 2 would both work but the gel time of thinned down is longer and in case it doesn't kick off due too much acetone,the thick stuff will get pulled into the cracks as the acetone flashes off.

The touch up on the finish was HELL !

The factory uses a conversion varnish and what was on Chris' bass was an unknown finish to us.We had to first color match the creme (which was NOT a factory color and then blend it together.

I know that Bill spent a day (at least ) running back and forth to the paint supplier trying to get the color correct and then we ended up using some tints that he bought and custom mixing it.

The clear was another thing as we had to test what material the whole thing was ,and this I don't remember .I recall it was something that Bill was not real happy about .My guess is that it was an enamel ,but I could be wrong .I do know we spent a long time on it and it still was not as good as we would have liked it to be.
My suggestion to anyone that ever gets a refinish or a custom paint job done is to have the type of material and/or the color numbers put somewhere on the inside of the instrument.It sure makes for an easier and less costly repair later on.
F.P.

Post by F.P. »

Mark, it's always great to hear about your work over at the RIC plant, especially when it pertains to someone who is well known, such as Chris Squire & Paul Macca (4001s), quite amazing person you are, since most of us "know" you now, with the many questions you have answered and problems you've solved for many of us who come to the RRP. THANKS, & stay around the Forum, we appreciate your comments.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

thanks Frank
Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Just want to echo F.P.'s sentiments - it's an absolute joy reading your posts, Mark. Especially, for me, the Squire ones. :-) Fascinating!
rick12dr
Veteran RRF member

Post by rick12dr »

Gee, Mark, now you should tell them the Herb S.
story....[lol!]
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Thanks Mark! Priceless stuff.

Return to “Rickenbacker Artists”