8.3 7.4 scatterwound toasters.

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Thats the same Extech meter that I have, but I didn't know it does capacitance too. Cool! I don't have to spend any more money on test gear for the time being. Image
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

What, you thought the big "C" button was "Cancel"?
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Haha...I haven't figured out how to use it completely yet, and was mainly checking inductance and AC resistance with it. A friend of mine (Dave Stephens www.sdpickups.com) makes some REALLY good pickups for guitar and I got one of the meters after I saw his so I could see for myself what my pickups in my guitars have as far as specs, plus I plan one day to learn how to wind my own pickups and it will come in handy.

You can hear some soundclips of the SD pickups at a local jam I go to every week that features one of the best guitar players in Portland, Oregon, Suburban Slim. If you want to hear them, just click on the reviews section of his site.
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

Given his name is Dave Stephens, you'd expect the company to be DS pickups . . . not real subtle.
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

héhé SD pickups.
Nice try .
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

He calls it Stephens Design, which is close enough to his name. There is some kind of confusion maybe because its similar to Seymour Duncan since lots of people use SD pickups to talk about Seymour Duncans. Dave makes some really nice sounding pickups that are always custom and fit whatever the customer wants. It takes a lot of his time to do it this way, but he's obsessed by pickup design and enjoys it.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”