Short and fat vs tall and narrow

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Short and fat vs tall and narrow

Post by bitzerguy »

Sergio, can you explain the electrical and measurable parameter differences between short and fat wound single coils (like a P90) and tall and narrow wound pickups (like those on a Strat)? (assuming wire gauges and other construction parameters are equal).

...Dean
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

I read somewhere many years ago that a squat, fat coil would sound bassier than a tall, narrow one. True? Not True? I believe the electrical and parameter differences between both coil types to be dictated mainly by the number of wire turns (assuming wire gauge remains the same).
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
jnbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by jnbass »

"Hey you're short & fat..."
Buy it before someone else does
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

There is a lot of great discussion on the Ampage pickup forum about design info like this. There are more than just dimension differences that determine the sound of a pickup. Things like magnet type and strength, wire thickness and amount, tension of the coil, arrangement of the coil in relation to magnetic fields, amount of metal in pickup, all play an effect in the sound. A P90 usually has a much higher inductance reading than your typical Strat type, but they also typically have a higher DC resistance, AC resistance, and capacitance too.
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Thanks guys,

The things you learn from this place! Guess I'll get out the Fluke and start measuring...

...Dean
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”