Higain/toaster conversion how to questions

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Higain/toaster conversion how to questions

Post by loverickbass »

OK, I'm doing my bass neck position higain and I've got the E and G pole pieces out; how do you get the A and D ones out? I can't get up under them with the channel locks. Is the magnet glued on the back?

Cole
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Yes, it is.
Sorry, but I can't figure out why removing the A and D polepieces should be harder than removing the E and G ones. Care to tell me what the problem is?
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

I have removed the pole pieces from several high gains ... usually the center ones come out easier ... you need the right touch of pull and twist ...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

So it's completley safe to simply pull out the slugs from the higains if I want it to look like a toaster? Does it change the tone significantly to remove the slugs?
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Well, you must replace them with some other kind of polepieces (flush with the top of the pickup bobbin), otherwise the pickup will have almost no output at all.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

The center pole pieces are raised up a bit where I can grab 'um with the plyers. The two outside ones are flush with the plastic. I guess if you damage the plastic in the middle it really doesn't matter since I'm going to cover it up anyways.

Cole
BobKat
Advanced Member

Post by BobKat »

Here's how I do this.

I remove the magnet and unsolder the wires. Then I put the bobbin on top of a padded vise with the jaws set so the center of the pickup just clears the gap. Using a dull punch, I carefully drive the polepieces out from the back. Then I cut off the buttons from the stock polepieces with a Dremel tool and cutoff wheel. Then they get driven back in with the same dull punch. Keep the pickup far away while cutting to keep metal shavings from sticking to everything.

Then I reattach the wires and glue the magnet back on with a thin film of glue. I use "Automotive Goop" and just spread a very thin paste.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Bob, how do you remove the magnet?
BobKat
Advanced Member

Post by BobKat »

I just gently pop it off. It's only glued in place.
loverickbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by loverickbass »

Got it. Thanks!

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”