Fret Size / new 360

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

jackson

Fret Size / new 360

Post by jackson »

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what size fretwire to order from Stewmac for a 2005 360?

Thanks!
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

Have you been playing it so much that you've worn out the frets in a year?
Ka is a wheel.
jackson

Post by jackson »

Ha, I wish!
I accidentally knocked the guitar over last night...the 4th fret caught the edge of a chair leaving a deep gap from the string.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Its not as simple as just replacing the one fret and having everything work perfectly. If the new fret is even slightly taller or shorter, then the guitar would need a fret job where all the frets are filed to the same height, and then recrowned. The new RICS use such small fretwire that I don't think there is much there to even do one fret job and have it work ok afterwards, but I could be wrong on that account. Maybe Mr. Hall can chime in on the required fret size, or you can find a local luthier's shop and see if they will measure it for you.
beatlefreak

Post by beatlefreak »

You can also get advice from Jingle_jangle and Dale Fortune, both members of this forum.
Ka is a wheel.
dale_fortune
Intermediate Member

Post by dale_fortune »

Chris I'll measure the one I have in my shop. It's probably .085 by .045. A qualified repair shop can handle replacing the 1 fret. It's not as difficult as one might think. But experience is the key to this repair. Pull the fret using end nippers and a soldering iron, cut the new fret to exact size and 10 inch radius, press it in, level that 1 fret to match the others, polish it out and readjust your T Rods and action and it's as good as new.
jackson

Post by jackson »

Thanks Dale, I plan to have a qualified tech do the repair. I just need to know what size to order from Stew Mac as preparation(unless you recommend someone else)?

Richard Cannata from Rickenbacker emailed fret specs for a current 360 with the following table:

A = .080
B = .094
C = .037
D = .057
E = .019
F = .031

BTW, it's a medium fret but I'm unable to find a size from Stew Mac that matches Ric specs. I guess I'm looking for the closest match since it will be filed down, etc.?
Thanks again for your help.

Chris

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”