Memories At The Iron Door

Discuss the early days of the Club with the manager.
admin
Site Admin

Memories At The Iron Door

Post by admin »

Some very interesting mail has made it to the management of the Iron Door Club from patrons who have fond memories of their time there.

Alan Earle has taken the time to write and we are particularly grateful for his correspondence. Alan reports that his favourite haunts were the Lowlands in West Derby, the Mardi Gras in Mount Pleasant and the Peppermint Lounge above Sampson and Barlows restaurant in London Road.

He offers the following delightful memory of the Iron Door Club and throws in a nice question for Geoff Hogarth too.
Just thinking back did the "Iron Door" change its name to the "Storyville" or was it the other way round.

It must have been around 1962 when I went there. I remember waiting outside in my Frank Sinatra/Robin hood hat and Dennison pointers shoes. I must have looked a right ....! The club I think, had just opened and had been rewired by some electricians I new.

I remember Cilla Black working on the cloakroom. (by the way I never got my hat back). She later sang "Fever" with Rory Storms band, The Hurricanes. Ringo Starr was on the drums and was it Johny Guitar on lead? I had never heard a woman singer "live" before and was taken back by the strength of her voice. Great nights never to be forgotten. - Alan.
Thanks so much Alan. This provides us with another memorable moment which will be added to the Iron Door site. Please don't hesitate to add to this story should you think of any further details.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
13_temple_street
RRF Consultant

Post by 13_temple_street »

The Iron Door officially opened as a licenced club on April 9th 1960. The next name change was to The Liverpool Jazz Society then to The Storyville. In 1963, it reverted back to the Iron Door.

Cilla Black first sang at the club on one of the afternoon lunch-time sessions in March 1961. Her career took off three weeks later on April 1, 1961 when she performed at one of the first all night Rock session's. She was billed as THE SWINGING CILLA.

In 1962 we carried out an extensive refurbishment. Your friends, the electricians, may very well have worked there. This was during the Storyville era.

Cilla Black was in and out of the Club all the time and was not officially employed in the cloak-room. She may have been on the occasion you visited the club.

Return to “Iron Door Club Forum: by Geoff Hogarth”