Post by larrywassgren »

John, what page is this one on?
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Page 22.
joe_hardman

Post by joe_hardman »

Not a bad price at all when compared to mass produced Fender and Gibson models, which were sold by the truck load during 1960. I don't follow vintage prices anymore, but suspect that vintage Fender Strocasters, Telecasters, Gibson ES-335, Les Paul models, etc. from the the same time period still sell for more than comparable Rickenbacker products.
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

I agree with you Joe, these prices are nothing when compared to late 50's Les Paul Standards. Those are readily available if you have $100,000+. Try buying a '58-'64 325 or 315, it takes years to find one. The argument that a '58 Les Paul Standard is more playable just doesn't work any more. People with a lot of money are buying these as investments, they might play them at home but rarely take them out. Old guitars are now like rare antiques and art. When it comes to rock and roll memorabilia The Beatles are number one on the list and their stuff brings way more money than any other rock and roll group. It's just a matter of time before the same people buying these old Les Paul's will catch on and start looking for old 325's and 315's because they're Beatle guitars. Then watch the prices go up because they aren't going to find any because they only made 28 in 1958 and not even that many 315's in 1959-60. The few that are found will be worth more than a White Penguin anyday.
joe_hardman

Post by joe_hardman »

"Old guitars are now like rare antiques and art."

I couldn't agree with you more Larry, which is why my old Rickenbackers are locked in the vault and my #1 "go to" guitar is a 2002 Clapton model Stratocaster.
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

Fender is currently producing some awesome guitars. I just played a Mexican Fender Stratocaster and I couldn't find any compaints, just a great instrument for $400. My main "go to" guitar is an early 60's Hofner Saturn 63 that I bought off Ebay for $100. The pick-ups in this are amazing and it plays perfectly, the Germans built a great guitar back then.
larrywassgren
Veteran RRF member

Post by larrywassgren »

I meant Hopf Saturn 63!
tracy
Veteran RRF member

Post by tracy »

Yeah, those Hopf guitars are really amazing. Their version of the 'violin' bass is killer!
Show him the shirts, Adrian.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

I have a Klira violin bass that I can't put down. Made like an old Hofner---two piece fat neck(bolt-on), single piece back, and a thin top.....it is just the coolest.

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”