Action on CW 360 12string.

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Robert_Ashford

Action on CW 360 12string.

Post by Robert_Ashford »

Great forum guys. The action on my CW 12 string seems too high. I recently put Pyramids on it and now i have to set the bridge really low.I have to say that its quite hard to play. Can you shed any light on this problem Thanks.Rob Ashford. England.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Yes ...to set up a guitar there are steps that MUST be done in an order .They are ;

1-tune to what ever pitch you will use 99% of the time (this is usually A 440 )

2-check truss rods and/or adjust them

3- check nut slot depth (usually is just a tad high or right on in depth from the factory)

4-set bridge height (the bridge can be 3 inches too high when all the other check/adjustments are being done...it won't matter)

5- lower the pickups (if the polepieces are the magnets-this gives you a clearer reading )and intonate/strobe tune) When you are done intonating re-adjust the height back to 'normal'
the bridge pickup will be closer due to the amount of string movement over it and the neck pickup must be farther away.This is to compensate for that .This is assuming that all the pickups are identical .

A further note ...when you set up a guitar (especially when intonation is being done),new strings are a MUST .Old strings have a worn spot on the under side where the fret is and that takes the shape of the fret wire.The placement of the frets is critical and this dent will throw off your intonation when you replace your old strings with new ones.This is a compromise but that is the best there is .Otherwise you would need to have an adjustable nut to go along with the saddles .This hass been done before ,but seems impractical.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Go back to my earlier posting "HOW NOT TO ADJUST THE TRUSS RODS"

this has more info .It sounds like you need to adjust your rods ...but that is just a guess .You need to check that before you take a wrench to them.
Robert_Ashford

Post by Robert_Ashford »

Mark, thanks for the info. i only wish i understood it. I must be thick or something. All i can say is that the neck visually at least, seems straight. Ive never adjusted any of my Ricks before so im a bit baffled. sorry to be a pain. Thanks. Rob
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

you are not a pain ,if you want me to explain this another way ...I will try .

If you want me to do this privately ,we can do that too.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”