Frying Pan Horsehoe windings?

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

porge

Frying Pan Horsehoe windings?

Post by porge »

Hi,

I have a early 30's Electar steel with the early version of the Horseshoe that Rickenbacher sold onto Epiphone. It's starting to go open circuit (down to about 2.1K), and I'm contemplating a rewind. So...whilst I'm happy enough to unwind and repair if I can, I figure that this is a bit of a fantasy situation, and I'll need to rewind. Being a practical kinda guy, I'm going to have a crack at it myself. Has anyone on the forum done one before?

Thanks

Andrew
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

I for one haven't.
How do you mean,"I figure that this is a bit of a fantasy situation"?
I'm curious as to the specs for such an early Rickenbacekr pickup.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
porge

Post by porge »

Hey Sergio,

I meant fantasy in a "hey this will all be easy, there will be an obvious repair to easily do" kinda way. I know in my heart of hearts it will be a rewind, not a repair.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Well Jason Lollar has tons of experience with old RIC horseshoe pickups, but he doesn't frequent this board, so you would have to email him. I'm sure he can repair it for you for a reasonable price, but I'm not sure how much he would be willing to share to allow you to do it yourself. I'd suggest you see if anyone can help you at the Ampage pickup forum. Jason, and others sometimes visit there on a regular basis.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11
porge

Post by porge »

Thanks for the tip Greg, have posted a similar question on the Ampage forum.

Fingers crossed!
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

A very interesting site indeed (Music-electronics-forum, that is). I certainly would not mind rewinding this '30s Rick pickup for you, Andrew, but I'm in the dark regarding its specs, particularly ohm rating. Coil wire gauge probably is #42 rather than #44. Anyone?
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Many of those old pickups were even bigger wire...the original Charlie Christian pickups were 38 gauge wire. Jason Lollar knows those pickups better than anyone I know, so he's a good person to talk to about rewinding it.

Sergio, that is THE site for pickup winders on the net. Most of the smaller boutique guys are there. Lollar, Wolfetone, Stephens Design, Don Mare was on the old site but he hasn't come to this one yet which is probably a good thing, Seymour Duncan's employees have posted there sometimes. Lots of great info there.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hmm... Well, for the time being I'll be a lurker there. Maybe I'll decide to register soon.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Yeah that thread hasn't seen any activity in awhile. I'm not sure where Wolfe is on looking into it either...he got REALLY busy with his own product and still is.

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”