Model ID help please ???

Exploring the beauty and tone of Rickenbacker Lap Steels

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bigdave

Model ID help please ???

Post by bigdave »

I have looked all over the internet (and of course this board), but can not figure out exactly what I have.....

Please help me identify this Rickenbacher steel

1. All wood
2. Decal on the headstock
3. Richenbacher Los Angeles
4. knobs on each side of guitar

ImageImage
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome Dave. While we wait for the experts, it appears to be a variant of the Model SW perhaps its predecessor. A series of more detailed photos is certainly welcomed should you have the time. Richard?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
bigdave

Post by bigdave »

I had seen the SW in photos, but also noticed that mine had a lot of differences

Here are some more photos

Please let me know if there is anything I else I need to take photos of
ImageImageImageImage
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes Dave there are differences, however, many similarities. Yours being made by Electro, it predates the Rickenbacker SW, but I am not sure by how much? Closeup photos would be helpful as well.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

Hope to hear more about this.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

This lap steel is unique at least in my experience. It has features of both the SW and 100 series and features not seen on either.
Similarities:
1. Slotted headstock configuration like early Model 100 series.
2. Routing around fretboard similar to Model SW.
3. "Rickenbacher" spelling decal. Postwar into the eartly 50s. Seen on very early 100 series steels.
Differences:
1. Crude input.
2. Control knobs on opposite sides. Only seen on prewar models.
3. No control plate.
4. "Rickenbacher" spelling decal. Postwar into the eartly 50s. Not seen on SW.
5. Symmetrical body.

This steel is not a model 100 series and it's not an SW but probably sounds very much like them. My best guess is that is an undocumented model or prototype.
bigdave

Post by bigdave »

Thank you very Much

No wonder I have had such a hard time finding any info on it

From what I have read and learned I figured it was probably a very early (mid 1930s) model of some sort, because of the decal, spelling and Los Angeles

Any idea as to the value?

Please let me know if you need any more specific photos or have any questions about it I can answer

Dave
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Post by rshatz »

The pickup is definitely a postwar design and I'm pretty sure the decals were not used before WW2. So, the instrument probably dates to the late 40s to early 50s.
It's impossible for me to place a value on this instrument.
Vintage guitar dealers like Mandolin Brothers, George Gruhn or Elderly Instruments do appraisals all the time and tend to come in at the highest possible prices.
Another way to value the instrument is to do a sham auction on Ebay with a very high reserve price.
bigdave

Post by bigdave »

I have put it up on ebay with NO RESERVE so that someone else can enjoy this wonderful old lap steel - Thanks for all of your help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230094313918&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=013
bigdave

Post by bigdave »

8mileshigh

Re: Model ID help please ???

Post by 8mileshigh »

I bought one of these too, exactly the same. Serial number U2439. Did you ever find out any more info on these Richard?
rshatz
RRF Consultant

Re: Model ID help please ???

Post by rshatz »

No, I haven't.

Return to “Rickenbacker Steels: by Richard Shatz”