1964 4001 pickup ready to re-plate

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

oyoyobeatle

Post by oyoyobeatle »

Yes,Sergio.I have heard that the "Horse-shoe" 4001 were made only around 150 pieces in '60s...
If it is true, it's very natural we can't see '60s Ric Bass wearing Horse-Shoe.
And,Thank you for your info Ted & John. I will try to fill the hole and fit the finger-rest.
Can I get it from Japan?
Hofner Rickenbacker Crazy in the Far east Island
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Wow! Only 150? That I didn't know. Now I gather chances of ever finding a '60s 4001 around these parts are next to null.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
oyoyobeatle

Post by oyoyobeatle »

I have got the magnets today. It become more stronger than ever. But I think it is little weak even now..I prefer the New magnets on my bass than original. Now I am think that the re-gausse ones should be in parts box or try more strong re-gausse again...
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

That picture speaks for itself. I don't think you need those horseshoe magnets to be any stronger.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

Very nice Atsushi! I don't think mine could hold the adjuster screws like that. My pickup still has a big sound even with fairly weak magnets. Everyone who plays my old bass is surprised by how much punch and volume it has.
oyoyobeatle

Post by oyoyobeatle »

Is it? So, Maybe there is some troubles in my windings or coils I think!!
Anyway, Now I put the new magnet instead of the originals, so I keep using them at this moment.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

What does the coils of the two pickups measure with an ohmmeter, Atsushi? Both should be around 5 - 6.5K ohms.
oyoyobeatle

Post by oyoyobeatle »

Bridge Pickup is around 7k by my multi-meter.
Neck Pickup is around 9k.
So, middle position makes around 4k.
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

I wonder if they were re-wound at some point. In my experience, that is a little hot for 60's vintage pickups.
oyoyobeatle

Post by oyoyobeatle »

Possibly it is.(visually, I can't notice that anyway.)
Both pickups sounds very powerful, especially neck PU.Now the Hoes-shoe got strong magnets so it is also boosted!!!
rickfan60

Post by rickfan60 »

If it is done well you would not notice it by looking. Lindy Fralin rewinds Fender pickups so well it is nearly impossible to tell.
xsubs

Post by xsubs »

I rebuilt my reissue HS yesterday, with a set of original shoes. They've been in storage for 25 years.
They came out of a '66 or '67 4001. I can't remember the exact date, but do know it was older than my '68 which had an HGxxx serial number.
The bass was parted out in 1982, after being deemed unrepairable. That's a story for another time.
Upon pulling them from the box, I checked them for magnet strength. After all the talk of degauss over time, I wanted to see if they still had a decent charge. I guess being stored in a box of clothing, with no metallic objects was a good thing.
I couldn't believe how strong they are. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves... the second is the shoe holding up a reissue shoe (those are heavy!)...
Rickenbacker '64 & '68 4001 basses ♦ Fender Pre-CBS J & P Basses and 1968 Telecaster Bass ♦ Moog Taurus III Bass Pedals ♦ Hiwatt (Hylight) Amplification
"A good bassist determines the direction of any band."- Ron Carter

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”