Hi Gain modifications

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Hi Gain modifications

Post by soundmasterg »

I was wondering if any of you guys/gals who enjoy experimenting with Rickenbacker pickups have done any mods to the hi-gain pickups, aside from the already mentioned bigger polepiece mods? Has anyone tried using alnico slugs instead of polepieces or a different wire gauge? Getting rid of the ceramic magnet and using alnico?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Greg, that is what I have done to the treble pup on my bass - replaced the "nail" pole pieces with alnico5 slugs. That is with unwound high gains, not with the 13k winding though. I pulled the ceramic magnet off the back and let the alnico rods do the magnetizing.

First I used 1/4" diameter, then 5/16".
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Well, yes - I've done them all. But rather than modding an existing Rick pickup, I've built my own versions thereof from scratch.
Using a different wire gauge? Pretty pointless if you ask me, unless it's a lighter gauge which results in more output, as do larger polepieces.
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
soundmasterg
RRF Consultant

Post by soundmasterg »

Would you guys say the sound with the alnico rods gets closer to a toaster sound?
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Yes. It is possible, and has been done, to put a toaster in the bridge position. I believe JPS has a bass that way.

Greg, you have mail.
rickcrazy
RRF Consultant

Post by rickcrazy »

Hey John, I'd just like to mention that those dowel pins you sent me some months back are the ultimate bass pickup polepieces! Next week I'll be sending a couple forumites new pickups sporting those. Stay in tune for some rave reviews hehe. Image
A Rickenbacker bass is much like the Jaguar E car - perennially ultra-fashionable.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

It will be interesting. I was thinking about those with all the shipping you've been doing lately. Glad to know they are working really well!

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”