Why I am a YES fan

The genius of Chris Squire
lyle_from_minneapolis
Advanced Member

Post by lyle_from_minneapolis »

"I've seen all good people turn their heads each day so satisfied I'm on my way!"

I heard those harmonies and was immediately stricken...and when the rest of the song built itself into the intricate tapestry that eventually ignites into Squire's "Seen All Good People" I was a goner, just in love with the band. Bought up everything I could find, and me just a kid. I remember buying Fragile when it was released. In college I had a theatre class assignment to choreograph a dance piece...I used "We Have Heaven" for the music. The dance really sucked.
Here is where I hide my music:
http://www.soundclick.com/MarkKaufman
lionheart

Post by lionheart »

Nine Inch Nails recorded an album called "Il Frag-il-lay" and it's even more Italian than the Yes album!
henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Emotion. That's what they have for me that so few other bands match. I find their best music incredibly uplifting. To this day Awaken reduces me to tears; I find it incredibly moving. I have to say that Chris is a big factor though. Without that huge, driving, melodic bass they just wouldn't be the same. Ironically I didn't really listen to Yes until I found out Chris was famous for playing a Ric. I bought the Classic Yes compilation (which I love BTW)and never looked back.
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

Why am I a Yes fan ... Chris Squire's bass playing ...

I will listen to pretty much anything that he plays bass on ... good tone and good choice of notes ...
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Shaun, Awaken does get to me too, as does Talk, Soon, And You And I, the closing of Nu Sommes Du Soleil, America, and a few others.
shamustwin

Post by shamustwin »

My high school buddy and drummer and I were bored with the music scene. There were no more Beatles. Not a lot to challenge us. We did like the jazz of the day but still longed for rockers and harmonies and clever songwriting.

BOOM!

One day we heard "All Good People", then later Fragile, and we had heaven!

High caliber writing, extraordinary playing, cool vocal harmonies, funky time changes!

We looked down our noses at those not cool enough to "get" Yes.

I bought a 4001, and the rest is...well rather boring and predictable.
revolver323
Intermediate Member

Post by revolver323 »

How can a bass player (me) NOT love Yes?
seyesbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by seyesbass »

I was a Who and Jethro Tull fan when my brother John took me to see YES on the YES Album Tour. After that night I was a YES fan who was into the Who and Jethro Tull.I thought Entwistle and Glen Cornick had it nailed on bass until I heard Chris playing live.
Too many basses is an oxymoron
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

Yes music for me has always been transcendental - it just takes me away. Very few things are actually capable of doing that, and C.S. Lewis believed that was the reason that man has a soul, because it can be transported. And there is a piece of Yes music that corresponds to almost every period of my life!
You can never own too many guitars!
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Amen, Jim.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”