SS vs Tubes, the latest test

Putting music theory into practice
charlyg

SS vs Tubes, the latest test

Post by charlyg »

I may have solved our tempo problems!

Same bass, same strings, same cab, but a B2RE instead of the SVT Classic. I had the EQ in a frown, and we had the best tempo since I switched to the SVT. I am convinced the SS punches through tighter on the attack. With a drummer, no big deal, without one, I HAVE to have the SS punch.

The only issue with the B2, is that I am only at about 9:30 on both gain and master. I tried running the Rick through the att, but the sound was not as good with the amp cranked higher and with the att in. Oh well........

I waited to do the vol mod or change strings, as I wanted to hear each change. It looks like the amp is enough. I'll still do the vol mod, but I'll keep the Chromes on for a while.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Charly, can you please define your acronyms? I don't know much about amps.
firstbassman
Advanced Member

Post by firstbassman »

Charly, my band had been on an unscheduled “hiatus” this summer (euphemism for no gigs). We had out first gig in a long time on Labor Day weekend. (Early September for non-US forumites.)

We still rehearsed every week but I borrow one of the guitarist’s bass amps for that.

So the gig was the first time I played through my Ampeg B2 in a LONG time. I had forgotten how sweet, low and warm that thing sounds. It felt good to hear that again.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

EQ - The Ampeg B2RE(450 watt SS amp) has an equalizer(EQ) that I adjusted for max mids while leaving bass and treble flat. The att is an active passive switch depending on your pups. I find that a lot of Rocks can function with the att, or active switch in. Gains at 9:30 can be construed as between 2and 3. The vol mod is for the 4004. THe VVTT one with concentric pots.

I wasn't sure where to post this info, as I have talked about my problem in three different threads.
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Mark - That is the head I had before I got the SVT, and you are correct. It is like meeting an old friend!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

a lot of Rocks can function with the att

New name for your band, Charly? Image
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Ok fine! Ricks, not Rocks!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

jwr2

Re: SS vs Tubes, the latest test

Post by jwr2 »

I am also a fan of ampeg solid state amps ... a nice cocsistant warm tone that punches through ...

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”