Widening nut slots.

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Steve

Widening nut slots.

Post by Steve »

If the nut slots are widened to take heavier strings, such as 12-54's, is there any reason why you couldn't at some point switch to a lighter set such as 9-42's (ignoring for now truss rod and intonation adjustments)? Would there be any detriment to the nut?
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

If you use a round edged file to do the job ....YES!

If you use a square file or saw blade ...it will shift in the slot .

If you use a 'V' shaped tool ,the string will seek the bottom of the notch and the height will change.

If you need to do this .one easy 'home remody' is this .If you have a set of feeler gauges for auto work... get out a .048 then wrap a piece of 220 grit sandpaper around the gauge and widen the slot.Use the gauge as a 'Saw' .This will work ok.Don't deepen the slot.To make sure you don't do that ,take some 'Whiteout' from an office supply and wipe some thru the slot.
When you start to hit the bottom ..check to make sure you DO NOT remove too much of the white and that should do it .

I don't personaly use this method ...but for the untrained it will work.And you will know if you screw it up .
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
Steve

Post by Steve »

Thanks Mark.

When I bought the Ric I was coming off an acoustic and I had the Ric's slots widened by a professional so I could use heavier strings. He used files of various sizes which I presume were Stewart MacDonald files. Now that I am used to the Ric I am slowly moving down to lighter strings, currently using 10-46's. I know that Ric strings are 10-42, and the 42 seemed like a big jump downward in size, so I wanted to be sure. I'll have to check the shape of the slot bottom.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Steve
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

the round edged joint files from stew /Mac are okay ,they don't last long though and are pricey.

their own files that look similar to something that Ibanez marketed 20 year ago look interesting ,I have not tried those.I am always looking for a better way to do the job.

This sandpaper thing is just something that could work without spending the money on 4 files to do the same thing.

Just a suggestion.

If it was handed to me I would use round edge joint files that are from the 'Grobet' file company.
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”