4003 needs help

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

anon

4003 needs help

Post by anon »

i just started playing, i knew it would be a ric, i bought a 97 4003 in april of 2000, i had string buzz, so i replaced them, i thought that they were to high, then got more buzz, i have read many postings on neck adjustment with no real luck, i feel my 4003 was so cheap because something is wrong, can someone please help, thank you for your time.
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Sure ,do you still have this bass?

If so how worn are the strings?

Are there wear spots on the strings at the point where they contact the frets?

What kind of strings are they ?

Have you ever had a professional repair person look at it ?
So you too want yours "ALAPWOB"?!?!
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

one other thing ...does it Buzz when it's plugged in ?

not plugged in ?

Or always ,all the time no matter what ?
shawn

Post by shawn »

i brought it in to two shops, the neck is twisted. i asked if i was , i dont want to use the phrase riupped of, but both repairmen said they would have passed it up, i bought it from a ric dealer. i guess i will start saving again. thank you for responding,
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Well I have to ask ...where do you live and then maybe soeone can recommend a great repair guy in your area.

I have seen many so called Rick necks that were hopeless according to standard issue repair guys and I fixed them with no major sugery .

Working on Ricks is a nightmare for lots of repair guys .They freeze .I don't get it .

Yes Fenders are simple to work on ,but this kind of mind set steps over to ES 335 style guitars,Gretsch,and just about anything that isn't a Tele ,Strat or Les Paul original or clone .It's fairly pathetic if you ask me .
shawn

Post by shawn »

I bought it at a shop in Blaine, Minnesota. I dont think i will shop there again. I live in the twin cities for the most part. I would drive for good service. I still have it and basically plan to keep it. Its my first real bass. Thank you for your help, can you use flat wound strings on a 4003? I read something about .015 from the 7 fret, what is that about, once again thank you,
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

Email Don Adamek ,he's the Twin Cities know-it-all.

I'm sure he has an answer for you,just ask him

or go to the Byrd section here and ask him yourself.
shawn

Post by shawn »

thank you mark, i have read many pages of advice you have given, thank you, i and many others are greatful ,, have a nice day
markthemd
Veteran RRF member

Post by markthemd »

If you ever run into or know of the Taylor brothers from Rochester ,Minn.,tell them to join in .I'd love to hear from those guys.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”