tendonitis

Putting music theory into practice
gray

tendonitis

Post by gray »

I've been dealing with tendonitis in my left/fretting hand for a while now, and it continues to give me problems. I take some nutritional supplements for it, but it doesn't seem to be enough. Anyone know how to combat this problem? Stretches or something? I may have to sell my bass if it doesn't get better. Thanks in advance to all.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: tendonitis

Post by jdogric12 »

I'm very sorry to hear that, Robert. I'm certainly no doctor, but a few things that help me with my carpal tunnel are:
1) Minimize "frozen hands" time on computer keyboards. Rather than keep your hands still waiting for a webpage to come up for 2 seconds, go ahead and take 5 seconds to relax the wrists.
2) Shorten your strap. Most players play with the gtr/bass slung too low and that takes a great toll on the hands/wrists.
3) If these don't help, see a doctor, get rid of it!
All the best, please keep us posted on your progress.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Sorry to hear that Robert. As mentioned in another thread, get rid of the Ampeg and buy a Markbass Minimark, the smaller package and lighter weight should certainly help when moving your amp.
gray

Post by gray »

Thanks, Jason. I'll do that.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Post by wints »

Rest, rest, rest Robert..

The most overlooked component of recovery. You really should take time out to fully recover. You can also use ice and medication to reduce the inflammation. Once the pain has gone, some basic physical therapy strength and stretching exercises will be needed.

Like the Dog says, reevaluate your playing style, as this is most probably the root cause.
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

I have a couple more ideas for you, Robert:

1) If you're currently playing a 4003 from the late 90's to the present, I'd suggest trying an older 4003 (pre-'92) or a 4001. My left hand starts to bug me after a while playing my chunkier-necked Ricks.

2) Make sure your nut slots are filed low. I always spend a lot of time setting up my Rick basses when I first get them. Some (especially the newer ones) come from the factory with high action at the nut. This also quickly bugs my left hand if I don't fix it.

Good luck!
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Andrew has the right idea...rest...a good physical therapist may help as well..good luck..
gray

Post by gray »

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions, guys. I've sold my 4003 to a forum member in Australia, as I've discovered on both the thicker necks and the newer thinner necks that neither of these really suit me. I always wear my bass fairly high (but not too high), and have been taking it easy for the most part. I've been taking a couple different supplements and have been playing my 77 4001 (thin neck and TI Jazz Flats) and a little Epiphone EB-0, which is easy to play because of the short scale neck. I've been trying to minimize my bass playing to only the few set obligations my band has had. For the next month we have no shows, and after that, none booked for 08 at all yet. I've already told my band that I can't play for at least a month after that, if not two. I also want to find out some kind of therapy work I could do as well as pre-playing stretches and warm-ups in order to ensure that this never happens again.

Thank you again for all your suggestions. I will take all of them into consideration!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”