I'm from New York City, breath it out and let it in

Where are you now?
When your broken eyes are closed
Head in a cloudy dream, green and sailboats
Borrowed and never returned
Emotions, books, outlooks on life

Hello 20 15!

Hello, 20, 15!

Sorry, I'm a SY whore, and what Light My Garage, Torch My Fire! forum would be complete without a tribute thread! Image
"Funny thing about weekends when yer unemployed, they don't mean quite so much, 'cept you get to hang out with yer workin' friends."
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Re: Sonic Youth

Post by captsandwich »

Rickenbacker content:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCS2v7J-cF8

ps: how does the embed video feature work? :oops:
rickenrocker

Post by rickenrocker »

I dunno, but I can try

ahh, you just want the number at the end of v= in the youtube brackets

Image great video
"Funny thing about weekends when yer unemployed, they don't mean quite so much, 'cept you get to hang out with yer workin' friends."
janglerocker

Post by janglerocker »

Thurston, Kim and family live about a mile away We hang out at Starbucks all the time....

http://www.harpmagazine.com/articles/de ... le_id=6338
rickenrocker

Post by rickenrocker »

I'm jealous, I'm sure if I ran into them in real life I would freeze up like the first time I asked a girl out. DRRRR

They are such an amazing band, one of, if not my most favorite. Daydream Nation was such a spectacular album, so ahead of their time, and they continue to write such killer stuff.

I've only seen them once :(, at first ave for their washing machine tour...I wish I'd have had a chance to see them live in high school, or recently for the rerelease tour, but I was up in Portland, and broke!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Great stuff, indeed! Love the rrrraw, wild energy of performance. Thanks for starting that topic, Jeremiah!
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

I saw them on the Washing Machine tour, too. At least I think that was it. Funny thing was, I saw the Sisters of Mercy at the same venue a few months before and the sound was terrible, just total noise, you could barely tell one song from another. I thought there was no way in hell that Sonic Youth would sound any good in this place, but it was crystal clear. Just an awesome performance.

PS: Is it wrong that I am completely smitten with Kim? She is just sex on wheels in my books. 8)

pps: during my band's cross-country tour when we were not getting along, I listened to Dirty non-stop on my walkman for 60% of the time we were in the van, so it is still a soothing experience to sit & listen to that album.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

What could be wrong with that, Greg? Personally, i think Thurston is a very attractive guy, to put it mildly. Goes to show the differences between us. :wink:
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
rickenrocker

Post by rickenrocker »

I know what you mean about Kim, she's hot for her age, but for me, I think most of my attraction is because she's just badass!

"Take a walk in the park? YEAH!"

I love everyone in the band though, the way thurston and lee play off each other raises the hairs on my neck, and Steve Shelley is phenominal!
rictified

Post by rictified »

I don't know a lot about this band but have always liked everything I've seen them do, is very original. I've actually been meaning to buy some stuff by them for years but haven't.
rickenrocker

Post by rickenrocker »

sowhat wrote:Great stuff, indeed! Love the rrrraw, wild energy of performance. Thanks for starting that topic, Jeremiah!
Oh, no worries. I'm always happy to talk about this band! :mrgreen:
danbind

Post by danbind »

The "Sister" album seriously expanded my definition of music--yet it is very accessible. They can make abrasive noise with a real pop feel, and this album is a terrific example. If you are going to start somewhere with SY, I suggest there.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

I've been a huge fan since 1984, but I've only seen Sonic Youth live once. It was in Dallas, Texas during the 'Sister' tour. The venue was called Club Clearview in Deep Ellum. It was an 'all ages' show on a Saturday night, so that meant it had to start after 2:00 AM (when they stop serving alcohol). Since was already well over the legal age, I went to the club around midnight with a friend. Sonic Youth eventually came on stage around 4:00 AM with no opening band. They squalled and screetched their way through extended jams like 'Expressway To Your Skull' until about 5:30 AM. It was quite a show!
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

danbind wrote:The "Sister" album seriously expanded my definition of music--yet it is very accessible. They can make abrasive noise with a real pop feel, and this album is a terrific example. If you are going to start somewhere with SY, I suggest there.
Daydream Nation is also a fantastic album. Plenty dissonant with just enough hooks.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”