Opening the Doors

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Re: Opening the Doors

Post by kenposurf »

I think John has a point re: "being there" and I will agree that some of the lyrics have not held up too well..but...their self titled Lp as well as Strange Days (their second) were groundbreaking works.both the vocal and instrumental phrasing are great and still get me there...Break On Through!
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

The Doors without Morrison and his foibles, controversy, self-indulgence--all of which were world-class, IMO, would have been a USC/Venice Beach garage/frat party band with one or two local hits and a following of druggies, drunks, and lost hippies numbering in the hundreds.

(...which makes me envious...)
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

jingle_jangle wrote:The Doors without Morrison and his foibles, controversy, self-indulgence--all of which were world-class, IMO, would have been a USC/Venice Beach garage/frat party band with one or two local hits and a following of druggies, drunks, and lost hippies numbering in the hundreds.

(...which makes me envious...)
Paul, It seems we have a similar view on this particular band.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

admin wrote:Brian: You may well have a point with regard to the Doors. At the same time I am wondering if the Stones would have been able to be as successful without Mick Jagger, Herman's Hermits without Herman, Gerry and the Pacemakers without Gerry or even The Beatles, without Lennon.

My thesis would be that for many successful groups there were magic moments that were based on a precarious state of affairs that, if changed only marginally, the momentum was lost.

The Door surely got caught in a jam with the passing of Morrison. What I wonder beyond this argument is would the Doors have continued their success, had Morrison survived, given the self-indulgence that you have noted?

Sorry for not responding Peter I somehow missed your above captioned post.

It would be my guess that The Stones would have probably suffered a similar fate but with one difference. Each band member would have likely re-surfaced in a band that would go on to some measure of success.

I doubt that the same could be said for The Hermits and The Pacemakers. The musicians in those bands were individually non descript and probably quite interchangeable with other local musicians that had a similar albeit limited level of talent. I suspect that nobody would have cared about the fate of the backing band if their respective lead singers had passed on or had left the band.

The Beatles? Oh boy! John exuded raw emotion that simmered and bubbled to the surface with surprising regularity. He was an interesting, unpredictable man. In the early days in particular he was a driving force, but not so in the latter part of the existence of the band. That's when Paul jumped in to fill the void left by the now disinterested John. I think the fact that they called it quits when things were falling apart speaks volumes and probably answers your question better than I ever could. I believe they collectively knew that they were closing a chapter on something so special that it could never be reprised. I suspect that's why they never demonstrated any real motivation to record together again or to participate in a reunion concert.

Nice pun btw.
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
rictified

Post by rictified »

winston wrote:
admin wrote:Brian: You may well have a point with regard to the Doors. At the same time I am wondering if the Stones would have been able to be as successful without Mick Jagger, Herman's Hermits without Herman, Gerry and the Pacemakers without Gerry or even The Beatles, without Lennon.

My thesis would be that for many successful groups there were magic moments that were based on a precarious state of affairs that, if changed only marginally, the momentum was lost.

The Door surely got caught in a jam with the passing of Morrison. What I wonder beyond this argument is would the Doors have continued their success, had Morrison survived, given the self-indulgence that you have noted?

Sorry for not responding Peter I somehow missed your above captioned post.

It would be my guess that The Stones would have probably suffered a similar fate but with one difference. Each band member would have likely re-surfaced in a band that would go on to some measure of success.

I doubt that the same could be said for The Hermits and The Pacemakers. The musicians in those bands were individually non descript and probably quite interchangeable with other local musicians that had a similar albeit limited level of talent. I suspect that nobody would have cared about the fate of the backing band if their respective lead singers had passed on or had left the band.

The Beatles? Oh boy! John exuded raw emotion that simmered and bubbled to the surface with surprising regularity. He was an interesting, unpredictable man. In the early days in particular he was a driving force, but not so in the latter part of the existence of the band. That's when Paul jumped in to fill the void left by the now disinterested John. I think the fact that they called it quits when things were falling apart speaks volumes and probably answers your question better than I ever could. I believe they collectively knew that they were closing a chapter on something so special that it could never be reprised. I suspect that's why they never demonstrated any real motivation to record together again or to participate in a reunion concert.

Nice pun btw.
Yes, I think with the best bands like The Doors the group as a whole is magic and if that delicate balance is somehow upset the magic is lost.
I think for example Led Zeppelin were amongst the smarter bands to not try to reform without John Bonhom, they just wouldn't have been the same, same with The Who who were never the same without Moon. The music of the Doors was unique, there were no normal run of the mill musicians in that band, each was unique with a unique style that contributed to the sound of the band, they were all very versatile musicians who grouped around Morrison and his vision, they were all artists in the true sense of the word.
rictified

Post by rictified »

admin wrote:
Listening to and reading about the recording of their last album I doubt they would have lasted much beyond that album. Bruce Botnick the engineer who recorded that album said they all thought they wouldn't even get that one out of him as he was so out of it by then, was drinking constantly among other things.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Saw a version of Roadhouse Blues with the reamaining Doors (hmmm not a bad name for a band)..oh yeah, and with Eddie Vedder picking up the vocals...I thought was pretty cool...
charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Throwing another log on the fire!

charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Here's my fave post Jim tune..

charlyg

Post by charlyg »

Robby Kreiger turned 62 today!!!