TR-100

Tube and solidstate amplifiers made by Rickenbacker

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jef

TR-100

Post by jef »

Hello all, I have recently bought myself a Rickenbacker TR-100 2x12" guitar combo (mainly because of its good looks and sweet price tag), and although i really like the amp, i have a few questions:
-could i use this amp with a bass guitar? i have a rick 4003 bass and would love to use the stereo output of the guitar (there's a stereo in on the amp). That way i could put some distortion or reverb on one pickup and leave the other one clean.
-With my electric guitar plugged in either of the channels on bedroom volume (which is position 2), there is a very light fizziness to the sound (you here it especially when a note rings out). My house does not have earthing, so that could have something to do with it, but in my experience no earthing means background hum, not very slight distortion. Perhaps i need to clean it up, but maybe one of you has a tip.

thanks!

by the way: i really love the distortion on this amp, it gives a nice soft crunch on low settings and combines extremely well with overdrive pedals (you get very thick ultra sustaining fuzzdrive sounds)
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Re: TR-100

Post by blueflamerick »

I have a TR-100 head that I play my bass through. No problems at all. I use the head to power a Rickenbacker Transonic cabinet and have used it to power an Ashdown ABM 210. I imagine that it would be no problem to play your bass through the combo, but to be safe, I wouldn't crank the volume to prevent any damage to the speakers that may result due to reproducing the low frequencies at high volume.

I also had what I would describe as a "fizziness" to the sound. The reverb tank was the culprit. Does the sound change as you turn the reverb knob? I had the head fixed by Tracy Sands, so no more fizziness. Reverb sounds ok, but it's not very deep. I'm not a big fan of the distortion on this, but to each his own.

Tracy told me that the TR-100 also makes an excellent keyboard amp. Just plug the output of the keyboard into the effects return to the 1st stop.
jef

Post by jef »

i notice the fizziness mostly on the distortion channel (with disto switched off of course), and on all reverb volumes, so i don't think it has anything to do with the reverb.
i think i'm going to try to do some bass recording with the amp, so i can keep the volume down and still have far out coolness in sound.
jwilli
RRF Consultant

Post by jwilli »

Check this out.....used on the 1st Led Zep tour....
http://www.christies.com/features/nov07 ... erview.asp
ness

Post by ness »

jef wrote:Hello all, I have recently bought myself a Rickenbacker TR-100 2x12" guitar combo (mainly because of its good looks and sweet price tag), and although i really like the amp, i have a few questions:
-could i use this amp with a bass guitar? i have a rick 4003 bass and would love to use the stereo output of the guitar (there's a stereo in on the amp). That way i could put some distortion or reverb on one pickup and leave the other one clean.
-With my electric guitar plugged in either of the channels on bedroom volume (which is position 2), there is a very light fizziness to the sound (you here it especially when a note rings out). My house does not have earthing, so that could have something to do with it, but in my experience no earthing means background hum, not very slight distortion. Perhaps i need to clean it up, but maybe one of you has a tip.

thanks!

by the way: i really love the distortion on this amp, it gives a nice soft crunch on low settings and combines extremely well with overdrive pedals (you get very thick ultra sustaining fuzzdrive sounds)
I use my TR100 for the bass a lot. I usually don't crank it way up. I have had no problems.
blueflamerick
Advanced Member

Post by blueflamerick »

Hi James & welcome. Is your TR-100 a combo or just the head? Can you please post some pics?
ness

Post by ness »

blueflamerick wrote:Hi James & welcome. Is your TR-100 a combo or just the head? Can you please post some pics?
Here is a quick picture. As you can see it is a combo.

When I got it the reverb didn't work, I opened it up and repaired a loose wire in the tank.

Now everything works great.
RicTR100.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Amplifiers”