Another singing question

Putting music theory into practice
nattiep
Advanced Member

Another singing question

Post by nattiep »

I seem to have this uncontrolable vibrato to my voice. I can hit a long note or something and I always quiver. I can get rid of it but I have to push harder. My dad notices it all the time too. He doesn't do that and we sound a lot alike. Am I doing something wrong or could it be a natural part of my singing? Can I get rid of it with practice? I'd like to be able to turn it on and off and not have it on all the time. :?

If anyone wants a sample of what I mean PM me and I'll email ya me singing a Queensryche song.
1976 Rickenbacker 4001
2011/05 Fender Standard Fretless Jazz Bass
2005/11 Fender Standard Jazz Bass
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Re: Another singing question

Post by sloop_john_b »

nattiep wrote:I seem to have this uncontrolable vibrato to my voice. I can hit a long note or something and I always quiver. I can get rid of it but I have to push harder. My dad notices it all the time too. He doesn't do that and we sound a lot alike. Am I doing something wrong or could it be a natural part of my singing? Can I get rid of it with practice? I'd like to be able to turn it on and off and not have it on all the time. :?

If anyone wants a sample of what I mean PM me and I'll email ya me singing a Queensryche song.
Well, is it a quiver? Or is it vibrato?

Go ahead and email me the song, Nate. jbiscuti AT mac DOT com.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Well see, that's the thing, I don't know. It seems to be a vibrato, but it's all the time, so I have no idea.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

It sounds like you need to learn some throat relaxation exercises. I had the same problem when I was much younger, but it came and went, depending upon how tense I was. I wouldn't call it "stage fright", but I would say that if I allowed myself to stress over my singing, I would sound like a billy goat as a result.

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/throat_tension.html
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Yeah,well the thing is I haven't really sang anything before a crowd yet. Just upstairs practicing. I wanna be really goo by the time I get out and do it. So even when it's just me and I am relaxed it's still the same.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

I still would suggest the throat exercises.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Don't lose the vibrato completely; it can be used to nice effecg when singing. Midge Ure from Ultra Vox back the in the 80s comes to mind.
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

So, didja hear the song, John?
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Yes! Sorry Nate, had a crazy few days.

I must say that you have an excellent voice and a very impressive range! That was a tough song and you damn near nailed it. I didn't notice any sort of pronounced vibrato "problems"; there were times when maybe you were straining for a long, high note and quivered a bit, but that's something that will be fixed with slightly better breathing technique and practice.

Like I said, you have a great voice/range - keep at it!
nattiep
Advanced Member

Post by nattiep »

Fast response!
You really think it was good? TY!
Maybe the high bits are what I needed to work on then. :mrgreen:
longhouse
Advanced Member

Post by longhouse »

I'm very much a novice, but I know some great singers and they have given me advice at times.
For the high notes (and any suspended tones) you must learn to use your stomach muscles to help you control the air you're pushing out. In time it becomes second nature.

Of course, range, control, and chops are tools but will not make someone a great performer. And they don't teach panache in schools. Some people have it in spades however.

Best of luck to you.

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”