your live set-up

Putting music theory into practice
ric330
Intermediate Member

Re: your live set-up

Post by ric330 »

I'm like a compact car these days.
Rick 360
Blackface Deluxe Clone (Point to point, EL84 conversion with Celestion Blue)
Hermida Zendrive
Analog Delay
Janglebox
Vibe Unit
...went in to buy a 52' Tele and walked out with a 360 Jetglo...
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

ric330 wrote:I'm like a compact car these days.
Rick 360
Hermida Zendrive
Analog Delay
Janglebox
Vibe Unit
Which 'vibe do you use, Kevin? My favorite has been the Dunlop but I had reliability problems with mine. Went to the Voodoo Labs one next but didn't like it as much as the Dunlop.
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

Guitar-----outboard Fender reverb unit-----Fender Dual Showman.....still waiting for a gig where I can double up on the amps :twisted:
johneek
Advanced Member

Post by johneek »

dswp wrote:When I am lucky enough to have the world’s best road crew, I play out with..

1 Samson wireless
1 Ampeg pro 3 head
1 Ampeg STV head
1 Ampeg STV 8X10 Cabinet
2 Ampeg STVHLF410 Cabinets
1 Rickenbacker Transonic T100
1 Rickenbacker Transonic T200

Direct box to connect to the PA?...Not required..
Clearly no better road crew than the one pictured. I hear they cover the country coast to coast.......
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Guitar:
'69 LP Deluxe beater (lead) or 660/12 TP (rhythm)
Line6 Flextone Plus with floorboard ;ine out to front of house.
Presets focus on Blackface and Brit Class A (AC15) with various drive/chorus/delay/reverb combinations.

Bass:
'71 Musicmaster beater, '87 MIJ J-bass or '90s Jerry Jones U2 (I'm not taking the 4001s or the 4000 out right now). I'm not going to be suicidal if one of these gets damaged.
GK MB200 totally clean.... line out to front of house.
I'm finding my other amps (AC50, Boogie MkIII and SWR Redhead combo) too heavy to lug - hopefully will get back to fighting finess soon and get these out again, along with the Ric basses.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Before too long, it should be:

Guitar: Rickenbacker 1997, Rickenbacker 660/12TP, Fender Strat '62 RI, Fender Telecaster
Rig: Fender Blues Deluxe

My lead guitarist Chris:
Guitar: Fender Telecaster, Rickenbacker 360/12, Epiphone Les Paul, '78 Fender Stratocaster
Rig: Vox AD-50 Valvetronix (supplied by a friend of ours)

That band idea of mine didn't really go as well as planned, so this will be our jam session setup. We've also got a microphone (which I sing through, I don't know the brand-name of it) which will be running through one of my old guitar amps, or a speaker (if we can find one!). We've also got a Bose Sound System which plays the songs we jam to.

I've got friends from school who will occasionally come out to hear what we can do, and most of the time they are impressed. Once I put this new setup into action, people who hear us will be lost for words!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I've never had one unique signature setup, but some elements I've often tried to keep are:
Rick 12 string
JangleBox
Boss CE2 chorus
Smallstone phase shifter
Rick O Sound stereo: treble pickup to Roland JC77, then later a JC120, bass pickup to Fender Princeton Chorus, then later to Fender Cyber Twin

Other fun things:
Line 6 FM4 Filter Modeler
Crumar CPB-1 bass pedal synth (poor man's Moog Taurus)

For bass I just use a Rick bass and rarely any effects other than compression.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

When the FOH system is a 'biggun', I only usually take a 2X10 Eden cabinet and a head, normally just a Hartke 3500...the head has a DI out to the house and then I just use the 2X10 as a monitor on stage. I HATE carrying a bunch of stuff around....and it's really not needed in most cases.

NO effects. The bass (and my fingers) supply the tone.

In a small-ish room, I add a 1X15 to stage left, and the 2X10 stage right....Both Eden cabs.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Very simple:

Rickenbacker _____ guitar
Boss pedal tuner
'70s MXR micro amp
Vox AC30 w/THD Hotplate.

...in that order.
qwezirider
Intermediate Member

Post by qwezirider »

dswp wrote:Direct box to connect to the PA?...Not required..
My favorite line of the day! :lol:

Simple setup for me:

Samson wireless
Korg tuner
SanAmp RBI
QSC RMX850 amp
Peavey 1x15 cabinet
Carvin 4x10 cabinet

It does the job, often no connection to the PA required either.
ric330
Intermediate Member

Post by ric330 »

I use the Deja Vibe Jr.
I used a Microvibe for a spell and it was pretty good for the price.
I'd like to get me hands on a Sweetsound Ultra Vibe 2 - Although I don't know if the Mix is as adjustable as I would like.

sloop_john_b wrote:
ric330 wrote:I'm like a compact car these days.
Rick 360
Hermida Zendrive
Analog Delay
Janglebox
Vibe Unit
Which 'vibe do you use, Kevin? My favorite has been the Dunlop but I had reliability problems with mine. Went to the Voodoo Labs one next but didn't like it as much as the Dunlop.
...went in to buy a 52' Tele and walked out with a 360 Jetglo...
jwr2

Post by jwr2 »

First of all the tone I am looking for when I play live is part Entwistle, part McCartney, part Chris Squire, and part John Entwistle.

Then when I gig out I always have a difficult decision of which two of my fourteen basses do I bring with me. I have clean sounding active basses and growlly passive basses. These days I am using Carvin strings. I plug into an mxr bass di+ I use this for a good clean signal. It has a parallel out which I run into my Line 6 bass pod where I model the old ampeg flip top amp and I model a rat distortion effect as well. This gives me a mid growlly distorted sound. I then run those 2 signals into a 4 channel Rolls mixer and I mix the 2 channels back into one line which goes into my ampeg b2r and I run into two 2x10 cabs with eminence speakers. the result is a scaled down version of Entwistle's sound on the Kids are alright dvd on the songs "won't get fooled again" and "Baba O'riley"

I like to keep my setup small and mike it into a big pa with an sm57 8)
pacealot

Post by pacealot »

For bass, this has been my recent setup:

Basses:
'93 4001V63
'06 Hamer B12S 12-string
'05 Schecter Hellcat VI 6-string bass (E-to-E)
sometimes a '06 Japanese Fender Jazz '62 RI

All of these are wired in stereo - the Schecter has three 3-way switches to send the three pickups to either tip or ring.

Plus I play a set of Dewtron Mister Bassman bass pedals into the bass-end amp (and sometimes DI'd if possible).

Amps:
treble end - '70s Marshall JMP 50 watt head
bass end - '70s Sunn Coliseum Lead
cabinet - modified Randall 2x12/1x15 (the Marshall feeds the 2 12s, the Sunn feeds the 1 15)

I try to make the sound guys mic both top & bottom of the cabinet. I hate using DIs for bass live - ground loops, muddy tone, not what I'm going for with the gear I've got. Most places we play, the sound guys know me by now and can deal with it. But not all.

Effects:
treble end - Teese RMC3 wah (rarely used), Line6 MM4 (for trem & phaser settings - sometimes I feed the bass pickup through the other side of it for stereo trem)
bass end - 70s Maestro OB2 octave box (used for one song!), Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz (Brassmaster clone - I use this one a fair bit)
I built a switching box to deal with all the routing and send both signal to my Boss tuner (and simultaneously mute both outputs for changing basses). Lately I've been getting lazy and just bringing the switchbox, the Line6 and the Black Cat fuzz, and that takes care of most of my needs. When we get flown out to shows away from the West Coast, I just bring my Hamer, the Line6, the Black Cat, and the Mister Bassman and hope for the best.

The rare times I play guitar, it's my '97 360V64 into a Marshall Supa Fuzz, a Univox Super Fuzz, a Fender volume/tone pedal, into a '65 Vox AC10 (which unfortunately just blew its power transformer :cry: )....
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Thoughts on the Hellcat, Paul?
pacealot

Post by pacealot »

Well, it was the only old-style 6-string bass available when I got it, so I didn't have a ton of options (I considered a Dano reissue). Once I rewired it for the stereo switching, it made it a lot more flexible. I bypassed the coil tap and just run all 3 p/u's in humbucker mode. I'd love to try toasters in it, though!

Nice grunty short-scale tone. I used it on two songs on my band's last record - one even in dropped D!

Another nice trick is that I can simulate the White Album "gunk-gunk" sort-of Jazz Bass tone by switching the neck pickup to the bass amp and the other two pickups together to the treble amp. Palm mute it within an inch of its life, and you can get a good "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"!

Return to “Being For The Benefit Of Musicianship”