The Pete Best Interview

History and music of Liverpool
hamilton_square

The Pete Best Interview

Post by hamilton_square »

While I’ve never travelled outside of Europe in my life or do I ever intent to for that matter. Nothing against the rest of the world you understand. Just some two hours of defying gravity while being strapped into an aircraft seat is, at my age, about all I’m willing to endure for the sake of travel. Ever since I first went online I’ve loved listening to American National Public Radio [NPR]. I feel it helps give me some kind of distant perspective on how North Americans, as a superpower, internally view themselves both domestically and in relation to the rest of the world and in particular to us Brits.

Back in September 2003, Pete Best was on an extended USA promotional tour publicising his then new autobiography “The Beatles: The True Beginnings”. He duly went into a radio studio and gave this 40-minute extended NPR interview [link below]. Which by the way, I missed the first time round but some time later came across by accident.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1417891

Other than to give those who have not previously heard this broadcast the opportunity to now do so, I’m in no position – or do I wish to make any comment about Pete Best’s side of crucial events. For, by the sounds of it, even he is still not entirely sure what went on.
Of course I love you!!!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Peter: Thanks for this link. It is a great interview, even if it offers no substantial additional information. It certainly captured my interest once again and got me thinking the Pete Best sacking.

I had the pleasure of attending Pete Best's show in the fall of 2000 and you can see my review here.

I admire your restraint in not making comment on the reasons for his departure. I hope you will not mind a couple of observations.

To begin, this interview reminded me of the relatively more polished speaking style of Pete compared to any of the other Beatles. These were the days when, to some, drummers were to be seen in the back row and not heard. I consider that Pete's gentler and more polished manner of expression rubbed John, Paul and George the wrong way.

In addition, Pete certainly seems less reactive that John, Paul or George. A difference in personality that is likely to have won over a number of fans.

Further, this interview is a reminder that the story has not changed over the years. There has been no straight forward in depth explanation of why Pete was sacked. The more we find out, the less likely it seems to have had anything to do with the manager or the producer.

Tracks played during this interview reveal that Pete was probably not as good as Ringo as a drummer but at the end of the day Ringo wasn't used in the early recordings either.

While I may be missing the point, it seems to me that Pete's manner and popularity was more of a threat to the others' insecurities of youth and that it was a group decision to let him go based on personality moreso than drumming talent.

In North America, the first Beatles' drummer to most of us was Ringo and so we were written out of the history. As is so often the case, history is written by the winners. I would love to see the living Beatles step up to the plate and discuss Pete's sacking in an open way. It would obviously mean so very much to Pete and I suspect harmless to the Paul or Ringo at this point.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
leesh
Advanced Member

Post by leesh »

Graham and I had a great time at the Casbah with Roag and Rory Best (Pete's brothers). We also picked up a new coffee table by Pete called "Best of the Beatles" and a DVD. The DVD in particular was quite fantastic and had interviews with Pete, his childhood friends, as well as those from the early auditions who offerred their stories.

I don't think they (The Best's) are selling the DVD outside of their shop (I could be wrong) but it was very well done and it filled in a lot of holes as far as what I knew about the Casbah and Pete. Roag and Rory put it together and I think Rory said it took them something like 6 or 7 years to get everything together for it.
steve_hershberger

Post by steve_hershberger »

Alisha, I concur that the "Best of the Beatles" DVD is quite interesting. Bought it a year or three ago at a local Best Buy store for $8 or $9 (something around that price range anyway).
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Alisha: Graham took you furniture shopping? Sounds serious...
leesh
Advanced Member

Post by leesh »

Ooops...should have said coffee table book..... Image Nice catch Randy.
randyz
Advanced Member

Post by randyz »

Alisha: Wouldn't it be cool to have a coffee table book about coffee tables that actually has folding legs to function as a coffee table? Oh wait, they already did that on 'Seinfeld'. Never mind...
hamilton_square

Re: The Pete Best Interview

Post by hamilton_square »

Now here’s a coincidence, considering the very recent announcement of the death of Neil Aspinall and his previous long standing relationship with the once formidable and 20 years his senior, Mrs Mona Best, mother of Pete. While on my YouTube travels, I came across the little 1 minute 40 seconds clip of the said mother and son, being interviewed on some many years ago TV program or other about you-know-what. Note back then how much Pete Best defers to his mother to do most of the taking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_p_zKrKWFE

Return to “Liverpool Project: by Admin”