French Garage/Punk?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

French Garage/Punk?

Post by sowhat »

Good time of day everyone,
how about some French?
I must say, i've never really heard much about French garage/punk bands, never read any serious reviews about French punk scene. And sometimes i've heard people say that "French language isn't good for rock music". Anyway. Here's what i've managed to find with the help of youtube. By some strange coincidence, all the tracks i've found are "gloomy, doomy and moody", minor key. Which somehow gets me thinking about Siberian punk (some people say it's the only "true Russian punk") that is also gloomy and doomy and minor key.
Enough for words, here we go.
Metal Urbain

Bad Lieutenants

Les Rats

Les Cadavres

Dogs (well, they sing in English of sorts, but on the other hand, there's a Ric in sight)

It would be great if somebody could add more info on French bands, especially those that sing in French.
It would also be great... well, as i was told, there's lots of people from different countries on this forum. We all know (some more, some less) about British and American punk or rebel music in general. But how about other countries? Of course, i do not expect to hear immediately from a guy living in Burkina Faso about local punk scene, but how about Canadians? Or Australians? It would be great if you could tell about your local underground scene in more detail. :wink:
Cheers. Or toodle pip. Or à bientôt. As you will.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
winston
Membership Admin

Re: French Garage/Punk?

Post by winston »

Either I have a tin ear today or maybe it's because they are shouting in French for the most part, but some of those performances weren't too bad at all. For punk of course. :twisted:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

"Ça Plane Pour Moi" -- one of my favorites from about 1980. I had the single. Plastic Bertrand! I say that all the time I'm in Paris and the locals look at me like either I belong or I'm nuts -- probably the latter.....
Leprosy is rare & scarce but nobody wants that!
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Good example, Mike, thank you. Albeit, if i'm not mistaken, Plastic Bertrand was originally from Belgium — that was the reason why i didn't mention him here.

(the other reason is that i'd rather call it "glam", not "punk", but then again, what do i know? :wink: )
Well, Brian, glad you've liked at least some. I, for one, think the first performance (Metal Urbain) was a... well, eh, mess, to put it lightly. Les Cadavres, on the other hand, were cool, imho.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Ah! Sheena, you are right! I should have known. I guess I'm half right, though, as he sang in French.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Well, indeed he did. :)
But his biggest hit somehow reminds me of... this.
mgauction
Advanced Member

Post by mgauction »

Ha! That was good! The resemblance in melody is incredible. Couldn't help but imagine P. Bertrand signing this one :)
rickenmetal

Post by rickenmetal »

French punk? Don't forget Bérurier Noir. Punk has been around in France since 1977, the thing is, it was never really that popular.

I think one of the biggest punk scenes in the 1980s was in Poland, with bands like Dezerter, Abaddon, TZN Xenna, Moskwa, which did eventually get pretty big with the Jarocin festival.

Then there was also Brygada Kryzys, which played punk and reggae, and eventually became Izrael, the first Polish band to play reggae live. They even sung texts like "Politicians - priests of Satan" during Communism.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Very interesting, Ivan, for me in particular, cause during Soviet times, Polish music and movies were very popular in my country but i've never heard about Polish punk. Could you tell us more about Polish punk, in a separate thread? It'd also be cool if there were some videos included.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”