Rebel music of today?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Rebel music of today?

Post by sowhat »

What ho or whatever.
Hate to sound like an old fart, but — oh well, maybe i am one already. :D
From where i am, the situation seems to be quite desperate. In mid-90s, punk became a "new trendy thing" and, as some say, stopped being punk ("pop punk" is one of the terms used, now isn't that an oxymoron? Well, to some extent, maybe not), and today, a group called Tokio Hotel is being called a "glam-punk-grunge-alternative-blah-blah-blah-band". (Well, anyway, who knows? Maybe the emo kids of today, in 10 or 15 years, will be saying that the music of their teenagehood was a real rebellious music, "and what they play today is absolute rubbish, having nothing to do with underground". Well, if anybody is worried — i don't think so, but still, — Mousie is not an emo kid, thank you, thank you, thank you.) A few rock FM stations that existed in my country in the 90s and early 00s were closed, or, as you may say, "re-branded", and now play all the same modern pop tunes that all sound like the same very long song. (The station called "Open Radio" which was claimed to be "a true rock station" was closed, and what appeared on the same frequency is officially called "Pop radio" — funny, heh?)
But it's hard to believe that no one these days tries to find something new and non-mainstreamish. So, the question to all: rebel music of today — what does it look (sound, smell, your option) like?
Toodle pip. I mean, cheers.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Rebel music of today?

Post by admin »

Sheena, sooner or later we all get pulled kicking and screaming into the "new wave." One day your music will be the golden oldies and boxed sets will rival the "Malt Shop" series.

In the meantime you might as well sit back and enjoy the ride.

You may have discovered the "New Punk." Soothing melodies with the rebel at heart. Even the announcing is more and more packaged. :)

In order for music to make its mark and ensure its longevity I would argue that it needs more than a fleeting fan base. Regardless of the style in my view music destined for success requires a melody that can be sung by the listener. Much or more recent music lacks this quality and as such is quite forgettable. It will be interested to see if it returns just as all the "classics" did.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

:twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:

sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

admin wrote:You may have discovered the "New Punk." Soothing melodies with the rebel at heart. Even the announcing is more and more packaged.
Soothing, Peter?! It doesn't really soothe. I mean, i'd rather describe these tunes and the whole appeal as "whiney" and "snot dispensing". No offence really meant, and i probably could write miles of words about why i cannot take this new "emo culture", but i'd better be off — perhaps i simply don't get it. I don't really see much rebellion there, it looks more like acting to me, and unfortunately it's not supposed to be a comedy even though many people laugh at emo kids. They seem to be too damn serious about who and what they are, and i always thought that sense of humour is one of the most important things in attitude to oneself. But then again, i may be wrong, of course, since i'm not an "insider".
As for "soothing with the rebel at heart", i'd say there's nothing really new about it. I mean, we've gone through that in the 50s, 60s and so on, and perhaps even earlier. Well, by "we" i mean the world, of course. Me personally couldn't have gone through anything in the 50s, 60s and most part of the 70s for an obvious reason of not even being a spot on the horizon.
Advanced Member

Post by 1965 »

kenposurf wrote::twisted: :twisted: :mrgreen:
Gotta love the Velvets.
collin

Post by collin »

I hate to say it, but it's basically underground Hip Hop. Not the rubbish on MTV12, where they are hopping around talking about their benz's and bitches, but real pure underground hip-hop is still fresh and progressive and completely rebellious.

I'm not extremely well-versed, but despite the lack of guitars etc, I've heard enough to recognize some of it as being important, and having some integrity (and intelligent rebellion..)

Cheers,
-Collin
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

By my cynical definition, rebel music is produced by young people with the intention of offending old gits like me. The only music that truly offends me is rank commercial garbage (particularly Idol winners, boy/girl bands, divas and that awful genre of hip-hop that Collin has identified) , so that must be the new rebel music! :mrgreen:
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Oh my. Evan, that was positively priceless! :lol: :twisted:
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

This lot come close from my adopted hometown of Leeds about to play a big gig in a hour 4 miles from where I live at Leeds Football Stadium.

Lot of work this week organising the ranks where I work(Police) for the concert

One of my grandson's is a friend of one of the band, he should have joined them when there was the chance in the early days.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Thanks, Roy. Let me know how the concert turned out. To me their sound and perfomance is reminiscent of The Who.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

These guys, i mean Kaiser Chiefs — they are quite good, in my opinion. Well, i'm not gonna say i was so impressed as to become a fan right here and right now, but there's an energy about their music, and that sort of raw emotion that creates the spirit. Long story short, and without all those meaningless words, they pretty much rock.
A bit off the topic: Roy, did i get it right — you work for British Police? That sounds a bit, well, scary. (BTW, do you have a helmet? I always thought those helmets looked kinda cute.)
Oh, and... early days, late days, whatever, there's always a chance. :wink:
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Yes you did get it right Sheena, but only as a civilian.

How long it lasts is anyone's guess based on my work record last couple of years.
lennon211
Intermediate Member

Post by lennon211 »

royclough wrote:This lot come close from my adopted hometown of Leeds about to play a big gig in a hour 4 miles from where I live at Leeds Football Stadium.

Lot of work this week organising the ranks where I work(Police) for the concert

One of my grandson's is a friend of one of the band, he should have joined them when there was the chance in the early days.

The Kaiser Chiefs are one of my favorites among newer bands. Their brand of music is much more pleasing to my ears than a lot of stuff that comes out today.

On another note though, I think that in this post-modern age, where everyone has something that caters to their particular taste that there isn't much that can be called a rebellion. In the past with limited means of exposure and limited outlets for performance, there was a way of rebelling, but is this true anymore? It seems that all one has to do is change the channel and move to something that is not offensive and much more pleasing to the senses. Granted there may be a movement or two that are rebellious in nature, but it's nothing more than a fad. People don't have that "we're all in this together" feeling anymore. There aren't the once clear polar opposites in ideology that existed in the past. I may be wrong, but that's where it is from my position.
royclough
RRF Consultant

Post by royclough »

Matthew last thing we want to get into on any forum I accept is political comment, the forum is a means of escape from all that, but considering that British Truckers blocked the roads into London yesterday in protest at the soaring fuel price in UK I call that a rebellion.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Interesting comment, Matthew. Agree, but — well, maybe (and i'd like to hope so) it's a temporary thing. As well as one gets indigestion from eating too much tasty food (not necessarily sweets, but that's the first thing that springs to mind), people may one day get tired of that many choices. It's kind of embarrassing. Yes, there are lots of options, but the options offered are already made up, packaged and labelled. So, silly as it may sound, this great number of choices actually means no choice. Or, rather, the choice's already made for us, all we have to do is take one of the packages and be glad with it. Today's situation kinda reminds me of a sketch or whatever it should be called (now if you're having lunch or something, or just had it, don't click on the link cause what you'd see isn't really appetizing, quite the contrary)... One day sitting on a sofa switching channels gets tiresome. So maybe we're going to see something new and rebellious very soon. I do hope so. Yes, i know one day my optimism will kill me.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”