Rebel music of today?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Re: Rebel music of today?

Post by whojamfan »

I think what we've been going through is a rebellion against rebellion. With the complete commercialization of punk rock in the 90s, it really kind of took the fire out of any kind of "revolution" musically and/or politically. Grunge was a rebellion of being a bored middle class white kid, and this doom/death/black metal is only a revolt against trying to have a nice day.

I don't really know what you could describe as rebelious music today, as there are so many things that people should be revolted by that it's hard to pick something when there are so many good choices. This, combined with the playstation generation mentality, really has just created 2 generations of uneducated slackers looking for the latest "injury" lawsuit so they can sit on their butts and play games and do drugs, or whatever. I hate to get political(at least on this forum), but with rising gas prices, job outsourcing,lack of education, foreclosures by the minute, and a government that's out of touch and control(both sides), it won't be that long before you will be getting a big dose of "rebellion" music.

I don't know about other countries, but the USA is going right down the toilet, and there is no quick fix. Just give it a little time, and you'll be up to your combat boots in "rebellion rock", or whatever.
I completely understand if this post is not appropriate for this forum and would understand without offence if it was deleted. By the same token, it is not intended to offend, only offered as my opinion based on many years of being involved in "rebellious/revolution rock" style music.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Interesting observation, MIke. Agreed on most points, except for "many good choices" — not sure as to whether they're really good or not. And by the way, the situation is much similar here in Russia now. Even what was once called "underground music" is bit by bit becoming the same commercial trash, even though played not in big venues but in small rooms and summer camps around the bonfire. Well, i still have hope anyway. :wink:
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

By "good choices" I meant "valid", or simply "bad choices". There is no shortage of things to rebel against, and it can be hard to focus on just one thing. You could be a band like "Crass", who bitched about every little thing in the world, but it really gets old after a while. Still plenty of those type of bands around, but most,(keeping in mind I am a lover and player of old style punk rock despite my forum name), are musically challenged and lyrically boring.

I'm not saying you have to play punk or whatever to be a good band that has a rebelious tone or nature to it. The Clash I think proved this with their later work, especially "Combat Rock"(which actually is my least favorite album by them). While still being somewhat aggressive, that album used many different styles and influences on it, and still was very rebellious in nature. If "Combat Rock" had been released by another band without the "punk" history the Clash had, it certainly wouldn't be found in the "punk" section of your local record shop,IMHO
rickenmetal

Post by rickenmetal »

I think Crass did just fine, they weren't putting too many words too keep it from sounding musical. Although I guess after a while, I can see why someone would want something like that develop musically so the music can evolve.

A.P.P.L.E. used too many words and political concepts, and I think that made the music suffer, although I doubt many people here have heard of them, I think they were from New York.

"Combat Rock" is the first Clash album I ever got and I like it a lot. I don't think it's punk, but it's pretty varied musically, everything from reggae, funk, African rhythms, rock, even pseudo-Vietnamese music, and lyrically it's pretty rebellious. They were on a major label and did tour with the Who at that time, so it definitely wasn't underground. The record shop has it under punk probably to avoid having various albums by the same artist in different sections, and sometimes (often) record shops put albums in the wrong category anyways.

"Cut the Cr p" did have some punk on it, I actually like that album, perhaps not all the songs on it.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Which Crass album are you speaking of? The ones I have tons of words crammed in to the songs at a mile a minute. Did they change that after the second album or so, as I believe I have the first 2(second one having some live stuff on it.)

I also have the Gotcha/Sheep farming in the Faulklands 45 that I remember to be the same way. I've got my turntable hooked up, maybe I'll give her a spin just to make sure.
rickenmetal

Post by rickenmetal »

I wasn't really referring to a particular album, I think it doesn't matter so much if you cram the words, just how you cram them, rhyme them and keep them on the subject.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

That they do. :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Often times after hearing only the first few chords of a contemporary song we may shut it off never to give it a second listen.

This is unfortunate as we may never fully appreciate what it is that new artists have to offer.

I am interested in how posters here approach this dilemma. Do you stick the song out regardless? Discuss its merits with peers?
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”