German punk anyone?

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
sowhat
RRF Consultant

German punk anyone?

Post by sowhat »

Hi gang,
any fans of German punk out there?
In my country, German punk artists are often considered to be a unique wave of punk, for whatever reason, different from British/American, so i'd like to know is it the same abroad or German punk is not considered to be special? And what, in your view, is the reason for "Deutschepunk" to be singled out as a "wave" — well, apart from the language, of course?
Some examples, chosen randomly, the reason being "i like it so what?"
First off — of course — Die Toten Hosen. BTW, unfortunately, i do not know German, so what does their name mean? I remember it was something pretty funny.
Kein Alkohol (Ist auch keine Lösung).

Hier Kommt Alex.

And a funny cover of an old Italian pop song.

And now (of course yet again, cause they're perhaps my favourite German band) — Die Ärzte.
Unrockbar.

Rebell.

And finally, what i probably consider the best song in the history of punk, nevermind it's a bit too long. Yoko Ono.

Your thoughts/opinions/suggestions?
Cheers.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
scotty

Re: German punk anyone?

Post by scotty »

Die Toten Hosen.Roughly translated to The Dead Trousers! First and foremost thanks for the post Sheena Im afraid im not really into this kind of music and I am ashamed to say it comes down to a language barrier.This is no fault of the band and is a poor reflection of my language skills :oops: But i understand that this band are huge in Germany.Maybe more people should be more open in their language and musical taste i for one is sorely lacking in these skills but i take my hat off to you sharing this with us and opening our eyes to a more wider spectrum of music.Thanks again
Scott
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Scott, i don't understand German either, but i never considered it to be a big problem. I mean, when i started listening to songs in English, i could hardly understand anything too, but that didn't stop me.
Aw, yeah, dead trousers. I remember it was something trousers-related. Thanks! :)
scotty

Post by scotty »

Yeah but im a dumb *** :mrgreen:
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

I hope we won't be starting a "who's dumber" battle here. :wink:
I just like the sound of German language itself, especially in punk songs.
scotty

Post by scotty »

:lol:
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

sowhat wrote: I just like the sound of German language itself, especially in punk songs.
That could be due to the huge volumes of spittle generated by those guttural German syllables.

Unlike Johnny Rottten, a Greman punk doesn't have to stop singing to spray the front row. You need to go to Dutch to get a language with a high level of expectorant!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

The Daybreak Boys are a great German punk band. Andy, the bassplayer,uses a jetglo Rick. Great guys, check out "People Like You" records for a whole bunch of great German punk,psychobilly, and streetpunk music. Spermbirds were a great older band worth checking out. I'll have to dig up some more as my brain is not working right, and cannot think of the names of some really good bands at the moment.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Trooper were pretty good too, lemme see wot I can dig up.
berth
RRF Consultant

Post by berth »

antipodean wrote:You need to go to Dutch to get a language with a high level of expectorant!
That's only when Australian people try to speak it.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Nutcase were good, don't know if they are still together though.
Death

Post by Death »

To me the closest thing I've found to German punk, is actually Mexican punk. I was talking about it with my best friend last night (he's Mexican, I'm German). We pulled up a bunch of German punk and metal bands...and he was speechless. Most of the bands I pulled up were huge in Mexico while he was growing up, but they always assumed they were coming from the states. So Germany has been a huge influence on Mexican punk, and metal without them even knowing it.
So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Death
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Welcome to the forum death, please, give us some of your favorite bands.
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Hello, Jeana, and welcome! Very interesting observation indeed.
Would it be too impolite of me if i ask — could you please tell what that song called "Yoko Ono" by Die Ärzte is about? :oops:
Death

Post by Death »

Lol. The song Yoko Ono by Die Arzte is kinda funny. He's basically singing about a person who has no pitch, is going to be the fall of him (like yoko to the beattles) and irritates him more then Yoko Ono, with a ****** taste in music.

Translation:
you brought me nothing in a pitch
only belaid me
you laughably made me
covered on my account
you irritate more then yoko ono

(the next 2 lines are hard they're one's where the literal traslation in German to English doesn't make sense and I'm not sure how to explain them, since I spoke German as a child with my grandparents but not so much anymore.)

go my animal in the sack,
you, do not cut me from my dwelling.
you, have ****** taste in music.

Like I said rough translation. My german is not so great any more. But if you take that and add it to the video where they're in the elevator crashing it kinda makes sense cause if you think yoko ono was essentially the fall of the beattles and if you keep that in mind and read the words of the song it makes a little more sense what they're singing about!

Oh! and thank you for the welcome. Some of my favorite bands are; Ot3p, Behemoth, Cradle of Filth, System of a Down, Böhse Onkelz, Crematory, Deathstars, A day to remember, Demon Hunter, Donots, Weezer-Greenday(before they went mainstream and turned to ****), Donots, Godsmack, Lamb of God, Kittie, Helloween, Scorpian, Joan Jett, Mana, Offsrping, Vomito Nuclear, Husker Du(if you want a lesson on where the statement and orriginal movement of "emo" comes from look up these guys. And trust me it's not the **** that's "emo" now), Basshunter, Cascada, and Scooter.

I like a lot of stuff, but these are the bands who are always to be found in my I-pod.

Death
So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Death

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”