38%
Don't care
38%

Total votes: 8

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

The Dictators

Post by whojamfan »

Here's an awesome band that never lost its sense of humour, or forgot why they picked up instruments in the first place. Started a little before the Ramones, still playing today. Of course, they took a few years off in the 80s, but came back in the 90s and still going. Ross the Boss on guitar, played with Manowar in the 80s, and they had Mark the animal Mendoza on bass for an album before he joined Twisted Sister. Ex wrestler Handsome Dick Manitoba on the vocals, they were the most under rated band out of that whole genre.IMHO.

If you haven't heard them, you won't understand my poll, as these guys must have been a marketing nightmare!

I saw them live twice in the late 90s, and they were without a doubt, one of the best bands I have ever seen.Twin guitar harmonies, vocal harmonies, rock solid rhythm section, and the frontman you wish you had.

Any Dictators fans in Rick land?
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Re: The Dictators

Post by captsandwich »

I've only heard a few songs by them, and seen a few live clips on Youtube. I can see how they would be a lot of fun live, but I can't see myself listening to an entire album.
tmossman

Post by tmossman »

Faster and Louder has gotten stuck in my head, for a couple weeks at least once a year or so for the last 30 years. Any of the phrases below can trigger it. Great song, great band, no label really works for them.

I can play
Faster and louder
I can dance
Faster and louder
I can live
Faster and louder
I'm a man
Faster and louder

I can talk
Faster and louder
I can eat
Faster and louder
I can screw
Faster and louder
I'm a man, I'm a man
Faster and louder

I can scream
Faster and louder
I can jive
Faster and louder
walk the dog
Faster and louder
mow the lawn
Faster and louder
jump back jack!
Faster and louder
get down Bernice!
Faster and louder
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Hot pants!
faster and louder
Later Holmes
faster and louder

Love it love it love it!

BTW, FWIW, on their 1st album "Go Girl Crazy" there are 2 song titles that would be easy to take the wrong way. Keep in mind, these are 5 jewish guys from da Bronx,hence the lyrics from "Next big thing"
"We knocked 'em dead in Dallas
Yeah we did pay our dues
I said we knocked them dead in Dallas
They didn't know we were Jews"

The song"Master Race Rock" is about being young and in a band, and nothing to do with politics, hence the lyrics:
"My favorite part of growing up
is when I'm sick and throwing up
It's the dues you have to pay
for eating burgers everyday"

The other song"Back to Africa" is about a guy who falls for an african princess and wants to go back and get her.

Always tongue in cheek, always rocking, never quite understood, but man are they good.

captsandwich, get a copy of DFFD, forget youtube or downloads, get the actual cd with lyrics, If after a week you're not in to it, send it to me, and I will pay you what you paid for it, minus the shipping, or work some other reimbursement out that works for you. We share a lot of the same musical interests, and I'm willing to bet you would like them plenty if you gave them a chance. DFFD rocks, and I put my money where my mouth is on that one. Offer only good to you, everyone else is on their own.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Just to be punk for once in my life I voted don't care. :twisted:

So how did Greg get such a great offer and the rest of us don't rate? I am miffed. Now I feel like a punk again....... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

I didn't want to have to buy a zillion cds. I thought beig a big stooges fan, Greg might really appreciate this band more by hearing their influence on them. Actually Brian, I will extend this offer to yourself, as I'm sure you would appreciate their heavy Who influence. I'm not a rich man, and cannot make this an across the board deal, as they are not for everybody, but get DFFD and tell me what you think. It's funny that you posted that thread on boomers, as the chorus of the first song off that album is "My generation, is not the salvation, so who will save rock and roll?!"
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

Hey Mike I was just teasing you. I will buy it just because you say it's good. That's good enough for me. "My generation, is not the salvation, so who will save rock and roll?!" I love them already......................
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

OK I just listened to some of their music.................They are officially on my must have list.................. 8)

Dictators logo.gif
Dictators logo.gif (6.43 KiB) Viewed 2703 times

sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

Heya, Brian, looks like you've been molded. :twisted:
Listened to what i managed to find on the tube, haven't made up my mind yet.
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

sowhat wrote:Heya, Brian, looks like you've been molded. :twisted:
Ha! I just know what I like and I don't care what label they put on it....................... :mrgreen:

whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Precisely Brian, that's why I threw up the poll, how do you label these guys, or, do we even care about labels anymore. As far as me, tease away y'all, as any reaction is better than none. Also, their version of "I got you babe" on their first album has to be one of the laughable moments ever recorded. Also on this record, is their version of "California Sun" released 2 years before the Ramones covered it on their "Leave Home" album. The song "Cars and Girls", with it's heavy Beach Boys backups, has the lyrics "I wanna drive the fastest car......Cars, girls, sucking beers, nothing else matters here-I live for cars and girls" aw c'mon Rick(in my best Fred Mertz voice), does it get any more rock and roll than that?
TheBeat

Post by TheBeat »

I love The Dictators....HDM was one mad son of a ***** in his day...as for labelling them? thanks for the 'who cares?' option, cos the only thing that matters to me is that they made good music with a sense of humour, that managed not to stray into the ridiculous like many bands of their ilk were want to do.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

That's exactly why I threw in the "Who Cares" option. "Rock and Roll made a man out of me!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
expomick
Intermediate Member

Post by expomick »

Sorry, find them boring.

And that is the sound of them kicking the walls in disappointment.

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”