Craziest covers of punk songs

A journey beyond mainstream to rebel music
antipodean

Re: Craziest covers of punk songs

Post by antipodean »

I'm glad you liked it!

They started out as a bluegrass AC/DC cover band - hence the name "Hayseed Dixie". Their version of "You Shook Me All Night Long" is unbelievable.

They have now covered Green Day, The Scissor Sisters, Aerosmith and Motorhead amongst others. They may be a one-trick ponies but they're great musicians and it is one very funny trick!
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

The Newtown Nuerotics(UK early mid 80s)did a 3 song 45 with a cover of "Blitkrieg Bop" on it with an additional verse. Had that, can't remember all of the verse they added, and was stolen with my original record collection in the late 80s and haven't heard it since. I know that the Bay City Rollers wanted to cover "I wanna be your boyfriend" but their management insisted they did not, as punk was getting very bad press at the time with Malcolms Sex Pistol publicity stunt stuff.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

Motorhead and anthrax did decent versions of god save the queen.

megadeth made anarchy in the uk even worse.

laaz rockit did a great version of holiday in cabodia.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Didn't Megadeath do a cover of "Liar" as well? As far as lame, Motley Crue gets that with their "Anarchy in the USA" version, and that wimpy version of "Helter Skelter", which I thought was the worst untill I heard U2s version of it. Siouxsie and the Banshees actually did a crazy version of "Helter Skelter" that was a pretty cool interpretation of it, very rocking, and quite different then most of their other material.
phlemmy

Post by phlemmy »

Megadeth's Liar was an original.
scotty

Post by scotty »

hi Sheena havent been here for ages!Hoping you and the family are well.
anyway i always thought this was just gold
The Casualties - If The Kids Are United (SHAM 69 COVER) Mental! :shock:

True fact! my dads old secretary used to go out with Jimmy Pursey.
Last edited by scotty on Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
captsandwich
Intermediate Member

Post by captsandwich »

phlemmy wrote: laaz rockit did a great version of holiday in cabodia.
That's the one I'm working on right now. Just waiting for the wife to have to work late one night so I can do the vocals. 8)
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Sorry, it was "Problems", not "liar" by Megadeath, will have album and confirm on that from my metalhead drummer when he calls me back. Might take a few days, as he hates telephones, and rarely answers his.

Sham 69, wow Scotty, I think they suffered the same problems the Jam did in making it in the states. Most folks here have no idea where "Hersham" is, or what a "Tube Station" is. Both bands heavily used britsish references that would only be understood by the people who lived there, or went the "extra mile" to find out.

The Casualties are a great band and are the real deal, had the chance a few times to play with them in the mid 90s. Very cool to see them still doing going strong.

FWIW, if you see the Sham 69 album with "Break on through" cover and a tele on the front picture-RUN. Worst album they ever made, horrible cover version(no guitar run on chorus for starters), and was an early 90s attempt to reform the group. Their album "That's Life", a concept album containing many of their best known songs, plays like an old radio show with skits between the songs telling the story. "I don't know where I'm going, but I gotta get there soon-Don't tell me "that's life", when I'm taking the blame" great lyrics from that album, with lots of funny bits, and some appearances from some known British actress(forgot who, sorry).

Sham 69 rarely gets the credit it's due, as being around in the Uks first wave of punk. Jimmy Pursey,singer songwriter, is the guy in the Clash movie "Rude Boy" who jumps on stage and sings "White Riot" with them. Don't know what or if they are doing anything these days, as his health has been on the decline since the mid 90s.
dogload

Post by dogload »

Hi- John Peel back in the late '80s (or early 90's) played a version of 'Holiday in Cambodia' by some guy called D.J. Liebowitz.

It was played on piano, and sounded fantastic- like you can imagine just sitting down and playing Holiday in Cambodia at a piano- very punk.

There's also the brilliant French version of 'Anarchy in the UK' complete with accordian accompaniment from the soundtrack to 'The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle' film.
Um... my band
The Type Five
And some tunes here:
The Type Five at Bandcamp
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

This one was much more mainstream, but I think it still qualifies; how does one start out with the Buzzcocks doing this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ycQXK30Ofls&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ycQXK30Ofls&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

and end up with the Fine Young Cannibals doing this:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfdIAbHzxmg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfdIAbHzxmg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

It's quite a different take on the same song!
rikk
Intermediate Member

Post by rikk »

Check this band out, it's bass akward though.
http://www.myspace.com/coversdonepunk
sowhat
RRF Consultant

Post by sowhat »

paologregorio wrote:and end up with the Fine Young Cannibals doing this:
One word: ugh. Image
Nothing will get you dead quicker than being deadly serious about yourself.
rkbsound
Veteran RRF member

Post by rkbsound »

Not really crazy, but REM did "Funtime", which I think turned out to be a better version than the Stooges' original.
whojamfan
RRF Consultant

Post by whojamfan »

Funtime?

Return to “Light My Garage, Torch My Fire!: by Sheena Colvin”